Thread: KB updates

New Lounger
    Thanks

KB updates

Hello,
    I'm new to this, please forgive me if I am in error here. Thank you.
    I am a long time subscriber to Windows Secrets, and I try to religiously follow the advice in 'Patch Watch'. However, I often see ref to a patch with the comment 'check Lounge for updates' or 'Hold until xxxx'. My list of these is growing quite large and I go to Lounge for answers but cannot find any. I enter the KB number in search and nothing comes up. What am I missing or doing wrong to locate actions on these older patches? I check the 'Patch Watch Chart' too.
    Again, excuse my ignorance on this issue, but please help me take action on these older patches. Right now I have at least 10 patches in limbo from Oct and Nov 2013.
    Thank you Susan Bradley for your efforts to keep us informed on these updates.

Robert Schneider
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-11-16 at 15:18. Reason: Removed email address

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Robert,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

I edited out your email address as it is not a good idea to post those. The replies to your question will be posted right in this thread just check back.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You can also subscribe to these guys, they also cover patch Tuesdays, along with Woody.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG,
    Thanks for the heads-up on the email.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Clint,
    Thanks for the ref to 'these guys' and Woody too.

Thanks
    I was hoping someone would answer the original poster's question about where one should look when Susan Bradley or others say "check Lounge for updates." I've not found where to look, either. There's a section called Windows Secrets Columns, but that doesn't seem to be where addenda to Patch Watch is to be found. I know that when the Master Patch Watch Chart is referred to, one can find it at http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...h-watch-chart/, but I don't think that's what Susan Bradley was referring to. She was referring to someplace in the Lounge. ??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, all
    Thanks cyberdiva for your support on this issue. Susan B must have thousands of viewers...are we the only two who don't know where to look? C'on guys, some help/direction is needed here.
    I had all those 'in-limbo, check the lounge' updates 'till 2 days ago when I just bit the bullet and updated my system with them.
    Susan, please, where are you on this? Give us a clue, thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sometimes there are specific discussions in Patch Watch as a follow up. Other times the master patch list is updated. Also, remember that non-security patches may or may not be discussed.

If you are really concerned make a backup of your system and then install the updates.

NOTE: I never worry about the patches. I've been installing them within a day or two of release for at least a decade.

Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a tale to tell, and was sorely tempted to post it, but it was going on for five paragraphs, so I won't.

Suffice it, paying attention to Susan would have saved me a lot of aggravation a few years back on a secondary system. Now, even though I'm down to only using XP in a virtual machine with Linux as my host (five years now), I still read thoroughly every one of her posts. It's helped from time to time on my own vm, and has come in right handily for some regular Windows users who are unaware of Windows Secrets - an oversight that I'm only too happy to correct.

But yes, a prominent link to a specific place for follow-up would be great. The master chart is good, but sometimes one would want to see the discussion for the follow-up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kermidge For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Sometimes there are specific discussions in Patch Watch as a follow up. Other times the master patch list is updated. Also, remember that non-security patches may or may not be discussed.
    Yes, Joe, sometimes there are specific follow-up discussions in Patch Watch, and sometimes the Master Patch List is updated. I try to follow both of those pretty regularly. But sometimes Susan Bradley says simply " I’ll let you know in the Windows Secrets Lounge post for this article" or some similar wording. Apparently I'm not the only one who has tried and failed to find such follow-ups.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cyberdiva For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    Yes, Joe, sometimes there are specific follow-up discussions in Patch Watch, and sometimes the Master Patch List is updated. I try to follow both of those pretty regularly. But sometimes Susan Bradley says simply " I’ll let you know in the Windows Secrets Lounge post for this article" or some similar wording. Apparently I'm not the only one who has tried and failed to find such follow-ups.
    If the patch is part of a Microsoft security bulletin the security bulletin may encompass multiple patches and she may update directions about the security bulletin but not each individual patch. Tracking patches is a real pain and very time consuming.

If you have a question about specific patches please ask them in the appropriate forum if you don't see a Patch Watch update in the time frame you'd expect. Remember, that the WS Newsletter contributors do not often reply to comments about the articles that is why it is best to get help in the regular forums.

Joe

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you have a question about specific patches please ask them in the appropriate forum if you don't see a Patch Watch update in the time frame you'd expect.
    Thanks, Joe, for your response. When you say "the appropriate forum," do you mean that if the patch concerns IE, I should post my message in the IE section, and if it concerns many versions of Windows, I should post it in General Windows, and if it's an update specific to Windows 7, I should post in the Windows 7 section, etc.? Or should all patch/updates questions go in Maintenance? Some time ago, when I had a question, I posted it in the Windows Secrets Columns section and got chastised for posting where I shouldn't have. So I'm really not sure where to post questions or, for that matter, where to look for related questions by others.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cyberdiva For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-26)

Thanks
    In my opinion, if you aren't a corporate user with unusual software or hardware requirements, you're generally fine if you always install the critical updates.

Corporate users sometimes have old software and hardware that is "must-have" for some reason, or they will have custom software; and sometimes a patch will cause problems for the old or the custom stuff.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

berts614 (2013-11-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    Thanks, Joe, for your response. When you say "the appropriate forum," do you mean that if the patch concerns IE, I should post my message in the IE section, and if it concerns many versions of Windows, I should post it in General Windows, and if it's an update specific to Windows 7, I should post in the Windows 7 section, etc.? Or should all patch/updates questions go in Maintenance? Some time ago, when I had a question, I posted it in the Windows Secrets Columns section and got chastised for posting where I shouldn't have. So I'm really not sure where to post questions or, for that matter, where to look for related questions by others.
    Yes, that is what I mean. Pick the forum that best matches the software being patched. BTW, I'm sorry you felt chastised. The WS Columns forum is not the best place to get an answer. That usually contains comments about a specific article. The various WS contributors seldom respond in the forums. We should do a better job of moving questions from there to the appropriate forum. Don't worry if you pick a forum that a moderator or admin thinks is not correct the post can be moved - no big deal. To look for related questions you may use the search at the top of the page. I recommend that you use the advanced search, click on the "single content type" type, fill in the blanks, select one or more forums to search or search them all.

Joe