Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I updated Windows from 8 to 8.1. The only thing I had to reinstall was StartIsBack -- I had to install the Win 8.1 version.

I don't have that much connected to my computer, mainly just a Canon printer/scanner/copier, but everything is working in 8.1. (Actually, I haven't tried to scan anything yet.)
    Actually, I DID find one other problem with Windows 8.1 -- when I right-clicked on a folder listed in the left side of File Explorer, File Explorer would crash:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...nd-Windows-8-1

The problem wasn't with Windows 8.1, but rather with a program called Format Factory. I uninstalled it, and the problem went away.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-16 at 12:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gee I just noticed this question sorry for the delay, huh, lets see, how will I know when to upgrade.... interesting question. All I can say is when I learn more about it for one and then after I see several issues clearing up as it goes along. I just encountered another problem with apps not opening but I'm not sure it's an issue of consequence or not. I see that Windows 8.1 is still in the newest stages of introduction and I guess they are even now working on Windows 9 (last article I read anyway said it may come out sooner). Change is inevitable but these days it happens far too quickly. I guess the answer to the my upgrade date would be when I'm ready to face that hurdle or when I master 8 sufficiently enough to tackle 8.1. I'm afraid by then they will be forcing 8.2 onto us. (hahaha, and that too is happening as I type) Oh my, Lions & Tigers & Bears..., Oh my.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It should be no surprise that Microsoft is working on the next version of Windows. Microsoft begins the planning effort for the next version well before current version is release - that is they have been working on Windows V.Next while Windows 8.1 was being developed, tested, and released. There are always features that do not make it into the current release for a number of reasons. Some of them will make it into the next version.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yes Joe P, no doubt but the one thing I see with Microsoft compared to Mac is they release more systems and now they are moving a bit too fast with them. Look at Mac Lion OS-X, 10.0 in 2001, after that they bumped it up incrementally until 10.8 in Summer of 2012 and none of those were made mandatory, they didn't force you into it and the system has run for 12 years now (counting BETA) with no pressure, it looks like 10.9 Maverick may force a change (maybe) but still after 13 years that's a single solid system. Then look at Windows, XP in 2001 followed by Vista in 2007 and now it's ending next year so it lasting for about the same 12 -13 years which was a great run and then Windows 7 made the scene, what ever happened to 7...? Heck it only came out in 2009 it's not old but now all of a sudden Windows 8 and 8.1 and with 8.2 coming right on it's heals and Windows 9 and 10 are in the starting gate. As I see it XP was very good and 8.0 was introduced too soon, it should have waited until 8.1 or even 8.2 was ready and Windows 9 should be at least 10 to 12 years out similar to XP with the Service Packs. Today the changes happen just too darn fast, they intro them when they aren't ready. And what is this "Metro" thing..., wow what the heck is that all about? Gee wiz talk about someone thinking off base. They want to treat a computer like a phone and it appears they never finished the final testing in BETA and are leaving it up to the public to find and fix the errors for them. SO far I think Windows 8.0 is okay but I still have more respect for good ole XP-SP3. My wife's machine has Windows 7 and I like that also, its' clean and easy to use, a cousin to XP in many ways but it's being tossed to the side of the road for 8 and children. Today I think it happening too quickly, they need to step back and look at what they are doing and when, too many things being sold untested and years too soon. Seven has some miles to go before it ends. (For the record I am a Windows guy not a Mac guy but I happen to own one.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    XP Service pack 2 had enough in it that it probably should have been a new version of Windows. Back then a new version of Windows was being released every 2 - 3 years. There were two reasons there was such a big gap between XP & Vista. One was SP2 not being a new version. The other was the complete reset after Microsoft figured out it could not deliver on "Longhorn".

Release dates for Windows:
    RTM Retail
    3.1 3/1992 4/6/1992
    95 8/24/1995
    98 5/15/1998 6/25/1998
    ME 6/19/2000 9/14/2000
    XP 8/24/2001 10/25/2001
    XP SP2 8/25/2004
    Vista 11/08/2006 1/30/2007
    7 7/22/2009 10/22/2009
    8 8/1/2012 10/26/2012
    8.1 8/27/2013 10/17/2013

Yes, Microsoft have said they are going to be releasing OS updates/upgrades at a faster pace. But as far as introducing new versions go, you are not obligated to upgrade Windows. It is your choice. Just as Apple does with Mac OSX and new MacBooks or Mac Pro machines new Windows based machines will have the latest version. Don't for a minute think Microsoft is alone in planning future releases as a "new" release makes its way through development, testing, and release.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions about new versions of Windows but let's not place Apple on a pedestal when it comes to software releases. Apple's naming conventions have not stopped them from trumpeting a very large number of improvements with almost all of their releases. External naming means nothing about content much less whether or not the new version is a simple update (i.e. a service pack) or an upgrade. Apple have charged for their updates/upgrades until the most recent version. They also abandoned older hardware and software with one of their releases - I don't remember which one. OSX has its share of problems too. The various interim updates often have many tens to hundreds of fixes and are a huge size.

The pace of change is often difficult to comprehend. Something more sedate would be nice at times but Microsoft and others have made the decision that they can't function like that any more. Still, no one is being forced to upgrade.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Joe, oh please don't get me wrong, no sir..., in no way am I putting Mac on a pedestal, not at all, the only reason I own one is for certain professional software for a business I had - that is the only reason I run one. No sir I am a Windows guy all the way and always have been. Given a head to head I'll take any Windows over a Mac any day. I guess I didn't word myself clearly enough and with no personal facial expressions it sounds like I"m down on Windows - Nope, not me. My favorite system to date is XP SP-3 Media version, that's my personal favorite and I am sad to see it go. No sir-e, Mac is okay and they have a place for sure but all said give me a Window to throw that Mac out of. (Ok now that's a joke.... Even with the updates and all jazz with the XP I looked forward to it, XP never threw me curve that I didn't enjoy in some way even when they were pain in the neck issues. No sir, I really like my XP unit and when the day comes it's finally over I will miss it like an old friend (Ok, that's sick, I know - I know)
    The change going into Windows 8 was one I was almost happy to see just because of my curiosity and hopes but darn it the Metro sucks if it's not working right and it simply seams that it was lat out too early and with too many basic issues. I never heard of anyone being thrown offline with XP or any of the other problems this has but them again 8 should do a lot more and with greater ease. It'll take me time to warn up to the new Op Sys but I will, with help - maybe even from you and the folks here too (that is why I'm here in the first place, getting some advice on the new stuff) yup Metro sucks but I'll take it over my i-Mac any day. I simply can't get that warm cozy feel for the Mac like I do with a good Windows Machine. Heck they hide stuff and one thing that drive me wild is iTunes. No joke - nearly every time I use it they have another version to install, the last one I refused the the agreement on out of frustration they locked me out of my own iPod, what a bunch of who-ie that is. Nope, Mac is not my pal it was a requirement for the business, that is all.... and I tried every way I could to get around it, are you kidding me - - - that iMac cost a small fortune, for the same money I could have picked up a super duper Windows unit and would have been twice as happy with it. My new computer, the Toshiba Satellite is great, I really like that thing and sooner or later I will have it singing using Windows 8 or 8.1 or 8.2, wherever it ends up and I will relax like I did (still do) with my pal XP-SP-3
    Hahaha, ready for this..., I even partitioned the hard-drive and installed VMware in the iMac to incorporate Windows XP and I had to buy a separate license / disc for that operating system just so I could get more out of the thing. I hope you know what I mean a little better, I'm just a bit frustrated with the new system right now. Like I said in the last line of the last post, "For the record I am a Windows guy not a Mac guy but I happen to own one."
    Ok Joe got to run, catch you later.
    Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12