Thanks

Keyboard shortcut for a style - Word 2010

I want to create a keyboard shortcut for a character style in Word 2010. I created the style, told it to apply it new documents created from the default template, and created the keyboard shortcut.
    But when I open an existing Word doc, the style does not appear and the keyboard shortcut does not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is working as designed. Style changes and additions in a template don't apply to existing documents, just to new documents. You must add the new style to each document individually by copying it from the template.

Go into the Developer tab, select Document Template, and select Organizer. There you can copy styles from the template into the document.

OR you can set the template for the document again, with the Automatically update document styles checkbox checked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jweissmn1 For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2013-11-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jweissmn1 View Post
    OR you can set the template for the document again, with the Automatically update document styles checkbox checked.
    I would recommend against this option (although it will work). See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matchange.html
    Or, at least do not leave that option checked.

Instead, you could select some text in your style and copy it to your document, then delete the text.

You could also record a macro (saved in your normal.dotm template) that uses the organizer to copy the style from your normal template to the current document. Such a macro could be attached to a keyboard shortcut and/or a QAT shortcut and used to copy your style when needed.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2013-11-22)

Thanks
    OK thanks to both of you for the tips. I am trying them out now.