New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win7 Pro backup failure

I am using Win 7 Pro and have recently not been able to use the Backup program that comes with that operating system. Something has changed as it worked fine up until a month ago. I have looked exhaustively for a solution and cannot find one that works. When I try to initiate a backup image of my "C: drive onto a 1.3T Toshiba external hard drive I get the following error message(BTW, I have tried 3 different Toshiba hard drives with the same results) " There is not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy on storage location. Make sure that for all volumes to be backup, the minimum disk space required for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volume included in the backup. Minimum requirement for Volumes less than 500 megabytes is 50 megabyte of free space. For volumes more than 500 megabytes, the minimum is 320 megabytes of free space. Recommended at least 1 gigabytes free of disk space on each volume if volumes size is more than 1 gigabytes (0x80780119)". I could use some help. Thanks, Bill

Thanks
    Others may be thinking of mentioning this, so I guess I will be first. I do not use the Windows Backup and Restore utility for these many little quirks. Many of us have switched to 3rd party Imaging apps, either free or paid. Many speak highly of Macrium Reflect free, although to gain all the features, it is necessary to use the Pro version. I use Acronis True Image 2013. This app has NEVER failed me with many Image creations (monthly) or restorations (I restore directly after creating an Image to test the system).

Are you creating new folders for the new Image? I have heard this is one of the shortcomings of the Windows app. Whereas the 3rd party apps just have to have a new file name for the new Image, I have read the Windows app must have a new folder to place the new Image into.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Do you have more than one partition to be backed up? What is the amount of free space in the origin partitions/ disks?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Others may be thinking of mentioning this, so I guess I will be first. I do not use the Windows Backup and Restore utility for these many little quirks. Many of us have switched to 3rd party Imaging apps, either free or paid. Many speak highly of Macrium Reflect free, although to gain all the features, it is necessary to use the Pro version. I use Acronis True Image 2013. This app has NEVER failed me with many Image creations (monthly) or restorations (I restore directly after creating an Image to test the system).

Are you creating new folders for the new Image? I have heard this is one of the shortcomings of the Windows app. Whereas the 3rd party apps just have to have a new file name for the new Image, I have read the Windows app must have a new folder to place the new Image into.
    That bad, huh? Well I guess I'll be looking for another backup software.

I will be honest - while I backup my system all the time, I've never had to restore from the backups (system or drive images). And I haven't ever tested them. Duhhh.

I have a 1 TB Seagate Go-Flex with 788GB free space remaining but do not use the Memeo software - I'm using the Windows apps. Lately I have had issues with the backup not running and received a "Backup failure" message along with detail info about the "Backup drive was unavailable. Use chkdsk to scan for corruption." I did this (there was corruption which Windows found and repaired) and also used the "Manage Space" to delete some older backups (from 18 months ago through the end of 2012) and then defragmented the drive. Once I did this, the scheduled backups ran smoothly.

Am I doing this wrong?

Thanks again for all of your posts.

Thanks
    I also have a Seagate Ext HD. I wiped it of all the Seagate S/W and formatted it as NTFS. It works great with Acronis TI 2013. I have Images of 3 different PCs. I just created a separate folder for each and store multiple Images for each PC in their own folder. I also use this same Ext. HD to store File History for my wife's and my PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

towhom (2013-11-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I also have a Seagate Ext HD. I wiped it of all the Seagate S/W and formatted it as NTFS. It works great with Acronis TI 2013. I have Images of 3 different PCs. I just created a separate folder for each and store multiple Images for each PC in their own folder. I also use this same Ext. HD to store File History for my wife's and my PC.
    Okay - cool, you also answered a question I forgot to add: Can you wipe the Seagate and format it as NTFS. I'll check out the Acronis TI 2013 before I do the reformatting and go from there.

Thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Owners of Seagate hard drives have available a free version of Acronis True Image called Seagate DiscWizard. It doesn't have all the features of Acronis True Image, but if you don't need those features then DiscWizard may be a good alternative. I've been using it for about four years and it's worked well - including doing one restore from a backup image. http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudsandskye View Post
    Owners of Seagate hard drives have available a free version of Acronis True Image called Seagate DiscWizard. It doesn't have all the features of Acronis True Image, but if you don't need those features then DiscWizard may be a good alternative. I've been using it for about four years and it's worked well - including doing one restore from a backup image. http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/
    I cloned from my old small hard drive to my new big hard drive using Seagate DiscWizard. I was extremely pleased with how solid it felt, and how extremely easy it was to use. The end result was perfect -- no errors.