Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Works Subsequent Updates Turns PC to Brick

This is my 2nd go around on this.

I have a Dell Optiplex 790 that originally came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    Upgraded to Windows 8 Pro with retail disk with no problems.

1st time, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 via the Store. The Upgrade seemed to work OK and everything was functional. Then, on the November Patch Tuesday upgrades, the PC went to the Something Happened screen...error 0x8004005...looking that up on the web wasn't helpful... and rebooted a couple times...went to troubleshooting screen. No help there. I ran into some real interesting problems there when I tried to restore my Paragon Backup from before the 8.1 Update...it was having problems with the BootBCD entries when I tried to restore. That probably could have been repaired somehow, but I just stuck a new harddrive in and did the restore onto that. Then I was careful to do all the Patch Tuesday updates (one at a time) on Windows 8. All the updates worked fine. After recovering from 7 days lost (that's how old the backup was), I decided to go at it again.

Backup up the PC before the upgrade. Downloaded the 8.1 iso file and created the USB boot from that and made the ei.cfg correction to get past the problem with it asking for a Windows 8.1 key when all I have is the 8.0 key. So then I successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1 from the USB Boot and then immediately did another backup. That was yesterday.

This morning, I did a reboot and noticed that there were windows updates that I elected to do...about 10 of them that were all targeted toward 8.1. After the PC rebooted and updates were applied, I got more of the same...Something happened screen...it flashed by too quickly to copy it all down...something about a system thread not handled and a file name that started with epfww I think.

So now I am attempting to get back to Windows 8 again from my backup. What is going on???!!!??? Is my PC too old? It's not that old. And Windows 8 runs on it like a champ. I have other PCs here that I upgraded to 8.1 with no problem, including this Dell Inspiron 15 that I'm currently using.

I'd have no problem staying on Windows 8, but I hear that Microsoft is giving me 2 years to upgrade to 8.1 and then I am no longer supported. Do I really have to buy a new computer to get around this problem?

Just got the same problem trying to restore to Windows 8:
    File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
    Last edited by Starry173; 2013-11-19 at 10:20. Reason: Additional Info

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind...I got the no hard drive error now and that isn't going away...apparently a problem on Optiples 790. Time for a new PC I guess...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    A drive error is not necessarily a reason to get a new PC. Do you have a Windows system repair disk?

Here you have a video of how to create one and an explanation on how to use it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...em-repair-disc

You can create it in another working Windows 7 computer.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    With a Windows Repair Disk, or even your USB installation disk, use System Repair option. Open a command prompt and type:

chkdsk /f C: (To find and repair errors that are found in the C drive) (Notice the space before the / and before the C)

You might also be able to open a command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow (This might fix Windows system files for you) (Notice the space before the /)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy