Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

MICROSOFT HOME bleeping INVASION ToNight - 11.19.2013!

bleeping Microsoft Inc., ... a person by US law, entered my home un-invited, stole my broadband connection, took over my personal computer, downloaded IT'S bleeping Windows 8.1 update, expected me to agree to its Windows 8.1 licensing terms, mentioned that IF I did accept the license agreement, *any right I had to my *legally purchased version of Windows 8 Pro software would be null and void, etc. etc. etc.!!!

how do I kill this violent bleeping Home Invader and thief when I can not see "him". Do I call 911 ? The FBI? Where are the all the bleeding heart Liberal, wrist limpers who lobbied hard to take away my right, nay my obligation, to defend my self, my home and my property; and all in the name of protecting children? what do I tell my sister, who expired at a hospice in Atlanta, GA while speaking to me via Skype at the time if this Orwellian horror?
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BFB,

That's interesting since the Windows 8.1 update is only available from the Microsoft Store and not by Windows Update to the best of my knowledge.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    BFB,

That's interesting since the Windows 8.1 update is only available from the Microsoft Store and not by Windows Update to the best of my knowledge.
    I'm back to 8.0 on my desktop, so I just checked Windows Update. No offer there for 8.1 from Windows Update.

I visited The Store, and there it sits, the offer to update to 8.1 for free. Of course, I didn't click on it. My desktop has been back on 8.0 for a month, and I've not had any offers for 8.1. Then again, the only time I'm on the metro side is when I'm playing Solitaire, and that's infrequent. Perhaps it gets "offered" on the metro side???
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the Store tile live? Or can MS push out a live Update to 8.1 tile or "ad" somewhere if one is signed into a Microsoft account?

Obviously BFB, you scramble the jets and get the heck out of Win 8 territory if you don't like participating in the great trial and error period (for Microsoft and users) of OS development.

Thanks
    BigFatBoy, very sorry for your loss! That is a difficult one!

Win 8 does not update to Win 8.1 without some form of user interaction. Whether a user has to go to the Windows Store and click on the tile for Win 8.1, or the ISO file must be burned to installation media as discussed in other threads and the upgrade started from that media.

Are you sure there is no malware that could have initiated this deed? I suppose a Torrent site could have a virus that would install a version of Win 8.1 along with some other packages on your PC, but MS does NOT upgrade to Win 8.1 automatically.

There is a method to disable the Win 8.1 offer. Check this article and scroll down to Deployment. I believe this process has been mentioned in another thread as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    BFB,

" thou shalt not speak of that which thou doth not know"...
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2013-11-23 at 17:37.

Thanks
    bbearren - Super Moderator - Polk County, Florida

all I can tell you is what happened to me.... Windows 8 has been offering to install itself on my PC about 1/week for weeks. Prior to, it graciously gave me an option like 'remind me later', or 'not interested'. As time went by, the B(*&^ got more persistent with her demands; even forced me to the MS store offering 8.1 again. I refused. Than, last night; me, my home, my property, and my family were bum-rushed in our own home when MS did exactly what I said it did in my post above.
    I kid you not; seriously.
    I sat there and watched, helplessly, for almost 30 minutes, as 8.1 went thru its various gyrations to install itself, rebooted my computer more than once without asking, and then graciously offered to return my pc to its pervious state after I would not agree to its license terms. Yes, I could have pulled the plug; and what guarantee did I have that the slug would not be waiting in the shadows to invade our domain, un-invited, once again.

maybe I will mark my own words. what if this is merely a sign of things to come; global corporate america, along with it bribed and paid 'public' representatives of the 'people', will force-feed us since it appears we will wake up but only when someone starts to feed us the "SXXX Sandwich". I worked for Uncle for awhile, I know their eating habits; and the smiles on their faces when they offer the same gruel to a still clean soul.
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2013-11-20 at 10:45.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    BigFatBoy, very sorry for your loss! That is a difficult one!

Win 8 does not update to Win 8.1 without some form of user interaction. Whether a user has to go to the Windows Store and click on the tile for Win 8.1, or the ISO file must be burned to installation media as discussed in other threads and the upgrade started from that media.

Are you sure there is no malware that could have initiated this deed? I suppose a Torrent site could have a virus that would install a version of Win 8.1 along with some other packages on your PC, but MS does NOT upgrade to Win 8.1 automatically.

There is a method to disable the Win 8.1 offer. Check this article and scroll down to Deployment. I believe this process has been mentioned in another thread as well.
    Medico

I was not dreaming or hallucinating. I do not do drugs, I do not get drunk. I avoid inebriation and intoxication, except for the *very rare occasions when I am with trusted old friends.

thank you for the link. I will use whatever is there. I know for sure now; I do not want that crap on my computer....!

Thanks
    Medico.

what does all this mean..?
    parse a few words and the following might be stating just about anything. "corporate speak" if I ever read it. listen, every-body does it these days. just listen to everything you hear on tv, much of what you read, and how all the 'well educated' folks in the USA these days bend words like eric Clapton bends guitar strings. it is just a next step to-ward the goal of achieving 'freedom' from accepting personal responsibility for one's own actions; I kid you not.

TechNet
    Deployment Paragraph

"Is there a way I can prevent my users from installing the Windows 8.1 from the Windows Store?

*Users will *only see the Windows 8.1 in the *Windows Store *if they have a retail- or OEM-activated version of Windows 8. Volume activated computers will not be offered the update. *If you want to prevent users from seeing the update under any circumstances, you can set the group policy "Turn off the offer to upgrade to the latest version of Windows" located under “Computer\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Store”. This corresponds to the registry value “DisableOSUpgrade” (DWORD) in key “HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStor e”; when set to 1, the update will not be offered."

does sentence #1 mean that: Users will NOT see [offers of] W8.1 anywhere but in the Windows Store ??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ha ha ha:

the user entered a key, a word, and its values...
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2013-11-20 at 11:16. Reason: spel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There may be prerequisite updates offered through Windows Update. However, Windows 8.1 is only offered through the Windows Store and is an optional update. The user must request Windows 8.1 be installed.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have a Windows 8.0 laptop that had been untouched for at least a month. Was turned on today, there were 34 Windows updates. All applied, no mention of 8.1, which is available at the store, though.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks

Thumbs up

JoeP517:

sorry pards;
    but really, ask yourself this: How did this 'fact' of which I speak come to me; and Where did the fact of which I speak, come from?

Did you design, create, prohibit, or disallow the MS process I experienced last night ????
    surely you are not telling me that I did not have the experience; and if I did, I was hallucinating?
    the earth is round; get over it.
    why do you think females become so outraged when a male starts talking about conception, the beginning of life, human gestation, or child birth?
    because to a male it's theory, speculation; an educated guess.
    it is not experience.

( mal-intent not intended)
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2013-11-20 at 11:45. Reason: spel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well yours is a unique situation. I suggest you contact Microsoft support, they should know you experienced something that, by all info available, is impossible and hopefully, they will provide you with an explanation. If you contact them and they provide an explanation, I would like to ask you to please post it here, as I would very much like to know it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, somebody wrote this : something that, by all info available, is impossible.

I have this problem with my upstairs user, I keep telling her to : "Watch your fingers". She gets some undesired reactions at times and the only reason/excuse is that her nimble fingers has touched a key on the keyboard unbeknown/desired by her. So, the impossible is just the contrary . . . possible. In the binary world, the impossible has to be initiated by a nimble finger. My take ! Jean.

Thanks
    Were you using Skype from the metro UI?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast