New Lounger
    Thanks

Fresh Install on Second Hard Drive

My ageing PC is grinding very VERY slowly. It is a self-build, but now so old that I intend to buy a new machine (can't build one for the same price any more) HOWEVER I wonder if the following procedure may improve things on my existing machine BUT WILL IT WORK?

Existing PC runs Windows 7 32-bit with 2Gb RAM. I have two hard drives with Windows installed on C and with the D drive used simply to store some files.
    QUESTION: If I do a fresh install of Windows on the D Drive, and set is as the boot drive, will all my programs, that are obviously stored on the C drive, still work OK? If so, then presumably I could simply delete Windows from the C drive?

OR am I better doing a repair install on the C drive?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    With an install on D drive, programs on C won't work, so, if you intend to keep those programs, a repair install is the way to go.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

eromittal (2013-11-20)

Thanks
    I would consider the new machine, then format the old machine and perhaps use it as a storage server for backup storage. However, do not rely completely on that old HD. The safest back up is backed up to more than one media. Perhaps use an Ext. HD with the old PC as a secondary storage facility. Just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

There are two options to choose from during the Windows 7 installation process:

Upgrade. This option replaces your current version of Windows with Windows 7, and keeps your files, settings, and programs in place on your computer.

Custom. This option replaces your current version of Windows with Windows 7, but doesn't preserve your files, settings, and programs. It's sometimes referred to as a clean installation for that reason.

so pick the option for you...its easy and will certainly perk up your old box. a tad more ram will also pep it up.
    Clas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clas For This Useful Post:

eromittal (2013-11-21)