2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where can I get a good price for Windows 8 or 8.1?

Hi to all,

My girlfriend has 2 laptop computers both running Windows XP.
    Since this spring Windows XP will no longer be supported I thought I might purchase 2 copies of Windows 8 or 8.1 as Christmas gifts.

Can anyone give me a tip of a site where I might find the best price to purchase 2 legal copies of the OS?

Thank you. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should run the Upgrade Assistant on each PC first - see Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP. Take note especially of section 1 "Before you begin".

Once you are sure that the PCs can be upgraded, check Amazon.com. Search for whichever version you prefer. I recommend that if you can find Windows 8 cheaper than 8.1 go for Windows 8 as Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade from Windows 8. You might be able to still find a Windows 8 upgrade version.

Joe

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2013-11-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the Info.
    I downloaded the Windows 8 upgrade assistant and will check out her computers before I make a purchase.
    I went to Amazon before submitting my post but thought that Black Friday might bring better options.
    Respectfully, GG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I haven't seen any software deals in the various leaks I've run across but that does not mean there won't be any. I seen a lot of hardware deals.

Joe

Thanks
    I have found deals at Newegg as well. If you do a google search of Purchase Win 8.1 you will see quite a few offers. Just be sure you get the version you want. I suspect her PCs are 32 Bit. Once you run the Upgrade Assistant Joe pointed out check the Windows 8 Compatibility Center as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2013-11-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I have purchased items from Newegg I get frequent e-mail offers from them and checked this morning but no offers for Windows 8. You are correct her PCs are both 32 bit. I will run both the Upgrade Assistant Joe recommended and the Windows 8 Compatibility Center on the computers and see if they are compatible - both computers are old. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to assist me. Respectfully, GG

Thanks
    Glad we could help with your search.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One other suggestion... If you are thinking of buying on-line ask the seller, "Can this copy be activated?" If he says yes, and you have it in writing, if subsequently there is a problem activating it you will be able to lodge a complaint with your credit card company for fraud, and get a refund. I saw a copy of Photoshop some years ago on a very respectable looking Website, called on the phone. I was put through to the sales department, a well spoken individual gave me what seemed like a perfectly valid reason for the program to be "on sale". It was a good deal, but not so cheap as to raise any red flags. Luckily I asked for an e-mail confirmation. When I tried to activate the program it didn't work. I called Adobe, the rep told me to do a search for the key, it popped up in a dozen crack sites. I did get a refund, the bank did claw back the money, and Adobe did go after the seller.

David