New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing router's gateway address

I am in the process of upgrading my router and am concerned about reconnecting all of my devices easily.
    The gateway address of the old router is 198.162.1.1 (an old Linksys WRT54GL). The new router's default gateway address is 198.162.11.1 with the option of changing the default gateway value in the advanced settings.

I have the following devices:
    Wireless: Windows 7 Laptop, 2 Android smart phones, 1 Android tablet, 1 Kindle
    Wired (via Powerline): Windows 7 Desktop, 2 satellite tuners, one printer (accessed by IP address by both the laptop and desktop)

Would all the devices connect automatically to the 2.4 GHz network (initially) if I gave that network the old network name and changed the default gateway to the old Linksys's value?

Any help in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,035 Posts
    If you keep pretty much the same details (network name, security protocol, network password) you shouldn't have difficulties reconnecting the devices, but I am not sure it will happen automatically.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

agf (2013-11-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After replacing the router, verify that the printer is assigned the same IP address as before. If not, you may be able to force the desired assignment through the router's configuration screen, or you may have to modify the address used by the desktop and laptop.

This is not related to the gateway address issue, but only to the fact that different routers may use different algorithms to assign IP addresses to the attached devices.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

agf (2013-11-26)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd leave the router settings standard except for changing the admin password and maybe the wireless password. Then connect each of your devices one by one and they should all work normally.

The printer should be accessed by DNS name instead of IP, then it doesn't matter what address you use. The router will tell you what name the printer is using if you look at connected devices.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So what happened?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    change in router setting and change at default gateway from normal one to your ip address

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeHolliday View Post
    So what happened?
    Here's what happened:

What changed:
    1. New router with a different gateway address from the old router. Did not change new router's gateway address.
    2. The encryption type
    3. The channel number.

Outcome:

Devices that got the memo and required no changes:
    1. All wired devices (a desktop, and 2 satellite receivers)
    2. Wireless smart phones, a tablet, and a Kindle

Devices that "sort of" read the memo: an old laptop that I needed to select the changed encryption and reenter the network password. A minor change.

A Device that didn't (and couldn't) read the memo:
    A Very Very old networked laser printer that had stored its address in NVRAM and whose web interface wasn't accessible because it wasn't on the same network segment any
    more. (It didn't know the light had changed...)
    Resolution: plug desktop and printer into the same switch. Change desktop IP address to old router address and subnet to 255.255.255.0. Access printer interface via browser and reset printer to default state so that it would get a new address via DHCP. Annoying, but it worked!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still use Linksys WRT54G router too.
    The router IPs seem strange from the normal default addresses.
    Your present IPs are 198.162.1.1 / 198.162.11.1. Are they typo errors on your post?
    Usual default IPs are 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1.
    192.168.xxxxx are local area network (LAN) IP assignment. 198.xxxx types are not. 198.xxxx is public www addresses. Probably already owned.
    I advise, for security reasons, change it/them to LAN IP groups (such as 192.168xxxx).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

agf (2014-04-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My bad, I transposed the addresses. The gateway IP address for the new router is, in fact, 192.168.11.1. All devices, (printer excepted), got the new gateway address easily and moved on to bigger and better things. I eventually got the printer to recognize that it had moved to a new neighborhood. Thanks for pointing that out.