3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Getting File History to recognize desired drive

Win 8.1 x64 Pro. In Win 8, I was using Windows backup and restore, but since that no longer exists, and probably wasn't a good idea anyway, I'd like to use File History. However, the HDD partition I have set up for that, not on the system drive, isn't recognized as a choice. How do I get it recognized? It has well over double the amount of space needed, and everthing's been cleared off it except Trash (empty) and Sys Vol Info. Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    H.S.,

Maybe this MS Article will help? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but there's nothing new there in terms of what I've done. The answer lies in how Windows chooses which drives are available. Getting a feeling that File History is buggy.
    Last edited by highstream; 2013-11-22 at 01:24.

Thanks
    File History seems to see my Ext. HD easily. I wonder if file history is written to not accept partitions on the same HD. If the HD itself goes bad, you loose your data backup as well simply because it is on the same HD, just a different partition.

What I do is use the separate partition to store all my data, then use another PC and my Ext. HD to back up that data using file history. To move your data to a separate partition is easy using the approved method.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    File history requires an externally connected drive. I guess they designed it to behave like that, requiring an external drive may be seem as a safety enhancing decision:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-file-history
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it requires an external drive, why are the two choices showing internal? Read that article again: "There are other choices, but these two [external drive, network] provide the best options to help protect your files against a crash or other PC problems"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, it seems you can use other internal drives. I don't know you can't use that other partition, if it is located in a different internal drive. Maybe try the trick used here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...r-File-History
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. The solution there was to share a drive and then add it as a network connection. What does sharing a drive mean in this case? Mine is a single desktop computer setup.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    To share a drive, right click on it from the controlling computer (probably need amin rights as well) and choose properties. Set sharing and security controls under the respective tabs of each.

A single desktop network, without even a NAS or USB router storage, means sharing is irrelevant, all the drives are local and under control of that single computer.

I've used Syncback free for years now without issue. It's set and forget (but remember to check once in a while), does backup, synchronization, and mirror but I don't think the free version does versioning. Having a mixed population of OSes, a third party solution satisfies ongoing requirements far longer and seems to me, better, than any of Microsoft's, here today gone tomorrow backup solutions through OS generations. Never met a drive Syncback rejected either!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I confess I never had to deal with a PC not connected to a network, even if the only computer in a wireless network, so I cannot be certain about what is supported or not. Anyway, you can always right click your partition and see if you have a Sharing tab. If you do, clicking the Advanced Sharing button will allow you to share the partition.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I also use SyncBack (Pro). I like two backups using different time frames and would prefer different programs doing them. Btw, since Win 8.1, I've had to take all of C:\Windows off SyncBack because the backups started taking 26 hours with it included, vs. less than 2 under Win 8.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I'm not using it with W8, even more than one hour seems excessive presuming the initial backup is complete. Syncback is currently tracking about 170,000 data files for me and that takes maybe 10 minutes of comparative processing over the network and then data transfer is generally in the one gig per minute range.
    Don't know if you are backing anything up over a network (of course not, I read that...duh!) but I have seen some poor network performance from W8, multiple tab opening/Internet sharing problems as well as running program slowdowns when large network transfers are in progress, and occasional program failures when using network data sources. I thought maybe these were due to VM adapter issues but the latest version has not improved the situation one bit and I don't get these performance issues using XP or W7 with the same software.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-11-22 at 21:04.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, once I took C:\Windows out, it took 6 minutes with 100,000 files.