Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Remember Credentials Never Works

Hi,

I previously had an XP machine that was networked to 2 other machines running Win7. I recently upgraded the XP machine to Windows 8.1.

Whenever I would start either of the Win7 machines, they would ALWAYS demand that I provide credentials for any shared drive on the XP machine... even though I had clicked the 'Remember' box when logging in about a billion times.

I had -hoped- that when I upgraded to 8.1, this would go away. But it still persists.

Is there a way so that I can enter my credentials on my Win7 machines ONCE and have them properly 'remembered' for resources on my 8.1 machine?

It's not a big deal, but if it -says- it can 'remember' my credentials, why -doesn't- it?

TIA,

---JC

Thanks
    Try having accounts with the same userid/password on all PCs. Add new user accounts if necessary.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was wondering if that might be part of the problem. But still, shouldn't I be able to -still- 'remember' credentials... whether the user name/pw are the same or not? Seems like a security risk to have to have them match.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    I was wondering if that might be part of the problem. But still, shouldn't I be able to -still- 'remember' credentials... whether the user name/pw are the same or not? Seems like a security risk to have to have them match.
    I never managed to get Windows 7 to save them. Windows 8, on the other hand, seems to be able to remember and use them effectively. I can always access shared resources on my 7 computers from my 8 running laptops, with different user accounts on the laptops (I use a Microsoft account on 8).
    Rui
    -------
    R4