New Lounger
    Thanks

No Love for Win 8.1?

I've been trying to buy a business class laptop from Dell that includes Windows 8.1. Despite having Win 8.1 RTM since August, Dell still doesn't have a Latitude laptop with Win 8.1. Similarly, there is not a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch with Win 8.1.

Both manufacturers seem intent on selling Win 8.0 or 7 on their business class laptops. Is there something wrong with Win 8.1 which makes these major makers shy away from it? Is there some other rationale?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It's a bit strange, since 8.1 should be more "palatable" for most users. Buyers will have the possibility of upgrading to 8.1., but they could be saved that effort.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    JVarde,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

Most likely they have the machines in stock and they are already loaded w/8.0 and they don't want to go to the expense (employee time) of loading them with 8.1. Since it's a free upgrade I guess they figure the purchaser will do it. And NO there is nothing wrong w/8.1 been using it for several weeks (on a Dell XPS 8700) w/o a major problem once I got it upgraded. The upgrade was a bit of a problem because I didn't want to use a Microsoft Account as my sign in. You can read the posts here to catchup on the specifics. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Both manufacturers seem intent on selling Win 8.0 or 7 on their business class laptops. Is there something wrong with Win 8.1 which makes these major makers shy away from it? Is there some other rationale?
    They're probably not quite ready yet in terms of driver support, and 8.1 is much more than just a service pack for Windows 8.
    Sure, most of your Windows 8 drivers may work just fine, but...fine tuning is heck of a lot more work for the manufacturers.
    It'll take some time, so give them more time.

In light of Microsoft's proposed new upgrade schedule manufacturer's may also be looking beyond just the 8.1.

ALWAYS IMPLEMENT DRIVE IMAGING PRIOR TO DECIDING ON THIS UPGRADE.
    WINDOWS 8.1 IS NOT A 100% INFALABLE MOVE. (as I have so discovered)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-11-22 at 16:23.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are also some hardware issues with 8.1. Some people have found they can't upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 because their hardware doesn't support 8.1.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    JVarde For what it's worth, in the past three weeks I have delivered three 8.1 systems: Toshiba Ultrabook [i7, SSD]; Asus laptop [i5, HD]; and an Acer Ultrabook [i5/, SSD, 4 GB RAM]. None of these had Touch Screens since my clients only work in and wished to remain in the 'Legacy Desktop'.

All started as Windows 8 and required about 840 MB of updates to qualify for the 8.1 upgrade from the Windows Store. With a fast optical fiber line that download completed in less than 15-minutes, with the complete installation requiring a little less than 20-minutes more.

Toshiba's on-board driver/app utility indicated 6 further updates as a prerequisite for 8.1 and managed the download, but very, very slowly.

Following the upgrade 8.1 seemed to manage additional driver updates competently on each system.

Incidentally, Classic Shell, 8GadgetPack, and some WinAero tuning utilities were also installed on each to obviate 'Metro'.

The advice given earlier about imaging your new machine prior to the 8.1 upgrade is incontrovertible. Moreover, once the soundness of the upgrade is established all the previous Windows 8-version on-board Recovery apps and partitions are rendered moot. Prior to uninstalling those apps and repartitioning / reallocating space on the HD or SSD, image again.

So far I am finding the the free 64-bit Macrium Reflect imaging app exemplary. It updates itself without drama and reliably generates a WinPE 4 Recovery disc or bootable Flash Drive. Even with UEFI BIOSs and USB 3.0, both forms of Recovery media function flawlessly amazing!

Good luck,

Hans-Peter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-25)