Lounger
    Thanks

Network adapter settings not saved after changing

Hello,
    My laptop is currently set to obtain DNS automatically (via DHCP). I want to change the DNS server settings to something else, lets say Google, which is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I enter the new information and I get a dialog box to restart the computer in order to save the settings. I say yes and then go back to check and the settings have not changed.

The account is an administrator account. I have another administrator account on this laptop and the exact same thing happens when I log in using the other administrator account. The settings are not being saved after being changed.

I don't know when this behavior started, so I don't want to use system restore before exploring this further. Any suggestion appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If this is a work PC there could be policies being pushed which will prevent you changing the setting.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, this is a work environment but there are currently no policies restricting or preventing changes to these settings. The laptop is not part of a domain and the account is local, not a domain account.

Thanks
    Hi LA-Jay,

I have changed my pc settings to use OpenDNS although this is not required as the settings are made in my Netgear router.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like there is an enforcement of something somewhere or missing/corrupt protocol. In all my years of constantly changing DNS settings in a workgroup level environment, I have never ever had to reboot.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Lounger
    Thanks
    You are absolutely correct, maybe this was something in a recent Microsoft update? I uninstalled and reinstalled the Ethernet adapter and that did not help either.