Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: eikelein, et al.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In answer to a few open questions, I have Adobe (which I rarely, if ever, use), PDF Converter Professional (which I used to use frequently, but don't much any more, Foxit Pro (which I use occasionally), Nitro Reader (which I haven't bothered to eliminate) and Nitro Pro 9 (which is my default and favorite). Several of them installed their own FF plugins, etc.

Setting the application for Portable Document Format, as eikelein suggested, wasn't a fix.

However, I suspected eikelein was right to suggest an interaction with a plugin or extension, so I loaded FF in safe mode. Voila! I could "do" PDFs. So I went back and disabled all the plugins, extensions, etc., except for NP9, which solved my problem.
    Dr. M. L. Marshal
    M L Marshal Consulting

- - - - -

"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Jasper Friendly Bear

Thanks
    There must have been some interactions between the various plug-ins trying to be THE plug-in of choice and disrupting the plug-ins from working correctly at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Win81proX64 & its default IE11 ... when I upgraded to the win81 final I simply used the windows always open with feature on pdf's and chose firefox. Works fine. I would rather not have any pdf specific reader installed - seems like just another thing to update and cause problems. Firefox reads them just fine & really one of the reasons firefox is even installed other than that rare occasional need for something other than IE.
    Last edited by bumtracks; 2013-12-01 at 03:04.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem for me re PDF on FF 25.0.1. I still use PDF-Xchange Viewer 2.5 [(Build 199.0) (Sept 27 2011)]. I do not like FF 'on-line' PDF viewer. I prefer the popup of PDF Xchange.

Thanks
    scaisson, Have you checked out the Tracker Software site. They have recently retired PDF-Xchange Viewer (still listed on site but I have read support will be discontinued) in favor of PDF-Xchange Editor (v 3.0.306.1)(see post #14). I downloaded the new app and replaced Viewer with Editor. It recognized my Pro installation and used my Viewer activation number to activate Editor. I have read there is also a free replacement Editor to replace the free Viewer edition.

I also did not like the built in PDF reader in FF. It would not save PDF files properly to my PC. Most of the PDF files I receive (mainly digital magazines) are much easier to download and save the file so I can read them at my leisure. With a small setup option I can use PDF-Xchange Editor. I have PDF files to open in PDF-Xchange Editor, not in my browser.

@rbsteinbach, sorry, did not mean to steal your thunder. I did not look back enough and thought your post was in another thread.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-12-01 at 08:01.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

scaisson (2013-12-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, I'll check out the new PDF-Xchange Viewer (Editor), thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12