2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to connect a Dell Inspiron 17R 1520 PC to a Sylvania Bluetooth speaker model SP260PL?

How to connect a Dell Inspiron 17R 1520 PC to a Sylvania Bluetooth speaker model SP260PL?

I'm trying to connect my Dell Inspiron 17R 1520 PC to a Sylvania Bluetooth speaker model SP260PL.

Of course, it doesn't work, so I would appreciate any suggestions. Here is my current situation:

1. The speaker itself works fine when I connect a cable from the speakers to the PC headphone jack.

2. When I rightclick the Bluetooth Devices icon on the PC, then "Show Bluetooth Devices", there is a speaker icon labeled "Sylvania" so the PC apparently knows about the speaker.

3. When I leftclick "Devices and Printers", then rightclick the "Sylvania" icon, then left click "Control", the "Bluetooth Device Control" screen appears for only a second or two. Before I can move the cursor, this screen disappears. I did manage to take a PrntScr picture of this screen before it disappeared. The screen shows a button for "Connect", so apparently the speaker is not connected even though the icon appears in "Devices and Printers."

4. The speaker itself has a blue LED on the back that blinks quickly when I turn it on. After a few minutes the blue LED begins to blink slowly for a few more minutes, then turns off. My assumption that the speaker and PC recognize each other at some point along the way (maybe when the blue light blinks slowly), but the process doesn't continue for some reason. The speaker instructions are written in a broken English which doesn't help explain the situation.

Does anybody have any idea what I can do to make this speaker work?

Thanks !!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>Does anybody have any idea what I can do to make this speaker work?

Have you done the PIN number step the first time you tried to connect the speaker? I found one reference online that says the PIN number for that speaker is 0000.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Under the "Operation Instructions" included with this speaker, item #10 says "The Bluetooth speaker user name is: Sylvania, the password is: "0000". But this password is never requested and I don't know where to enter it. There is no mention of a PIN number in the instructions but maybe it's the same thing as the password. In any event, can you tell me where I would enter this PIN number/password? This is Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601, automatically updated with Windows Update.

Thanks !!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    It seems that Windows is failing before the setup process is completed. I guess you would get the prompt asking for the code if you were able to click the Connect button. Do you see any error in Windows event logs about this?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can look at the Event Logs by starting eventvwr.msc, but I have no idea what to look for or which log to look in. Any suggestions about where I should look ?

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just look for errors and warnings, probably starting with System events.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the Bluetooth speaker again just now. When I turn it on, a blue light flashes quickly on the back of the speaker for about five minutes, then flashes slowly for a few minutes, then turns off. During this time, the speaker icon appears on the "Devices and Printers" page. As before, when I rightclick on the icon, then select "Control", the "Bluetooth Device Control" screen appears for a few seconds, then disappears before I can do anything. I tried the rightclick both when the blue light was blinking quickly and when it was blinking slowly. Before I started this process, I checked all the System event logs and none of them had any events besides "Information" for the last several minutes. After I finished this process and the blue light on the back speaker had turned off, I again checked all of the System Event logs. None of them had any new entries, including one or two that seemed to mention "Bluetooth". In addition, the "Summary of Administrative Events" of the first page of the Event Viewer listed no new errors or warnings in the last hour. There were a couple of Information Events but they didn't seem to be related to this problem.

So it does seem like the PC is failing before the setup process is completed, but the Event Logs don't seem to indicate anything unusual.

Finally, this speaker says it has a "builtin microphone and speakerphone" and is supposed to be usable with a cell phone. It also had a button on the top with a small telephone icon but the instructions are not clear about what to do with it. In any event, I don't care about that; I would only like it to be able to receive audio from the PC. So I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't know what happened, but the speaker suddenly started working. I literally do not know what I did, but now that I know it works, I will try to find what I did to make it work. Ironically, there is now an error in the Administrative Events which says:
    "The server {long id number} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout" I don't know what that means.
    So thanks for your suggestions. If I figure out why it worked, I will post back here and let you know.

Thanks again !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I guess getting it to work is what matters the most. Let's hope it keeps that way. Well done for making it work .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I've been experimenting for three days and the Bluetooth speaker hasn't worked again after the first time. The symptoms are the same: the Bluetooth control screen appears briefly and then disappears. In addition, the pairing procedure that displays a number to confirm the connection does NOT appear, so something isn't happening correctly. The PC will usually pair with a cell phone that is Bluetooth enabled but sometimes the Control screen vanishes with the cell phone too. I would think that this would be a common problem, but I haven't seen much about this symptom. Any other ideas about what might be needed?

Thanks !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I fear I can't help much more. Clearly something is wrong with the way bluetooth is behaving in your system.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    2013 11 28

Well, I FINALLY found the solution to the problem, quite by accident, with the "Manage Audio Devices" screen which can be accessed from
    Control Panel=>Hardware and Sound=>Manage Audio Devices.

To cause sound to come from the Bluetooth speakers,
    Right click on "Bluetooth Speakers", then click "Set as Default Device".

To cause sound to come from the PC speakers, right click on "Headphones", then click "Set as Default Device"

Simple !! So the problem is resolved, and everything seems to work. It's frustrating that there were no written instructions saying how the system worked, or what to do, but I'm glad it does now.

Thanks again for previous comments.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    2013 11 28

Well, I FINALLY found the solution to the problem, quite by accident, with the "Manage Audio Devices" screen which can be accessed from
    Control Panel=>Hardware and Sound=>Manage Audio Devices.

To cause sound to come from the Bluetooth speakers,
    Right click on "Bluetooth Speakers", then click "Set as Default Device".

To cause sound to come from the PC speakers, right click on "Headphones", then click "Set as Default Device"

Simple !! So the problem is resolved, and everything seems to work. It's frustrating that there were no written instructions saying how the system worked, or what to do, but I'm glad it does now.

Thanks again for previous comments.
    Glad you solved it and thank you for posting the final solution.
    Rui
    -------
    R4