Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win8.1, IE 11, and the home page

Need some help please. We were just "forced" to install Win 8.1 on my wife's laptop and of course, along with it comes IE11. When we go to her home page/desktop (remember Win 7), and try and open IE from there, nothing happens - this approach worked in Win 8. Instead, we get an interface page that looks like IE, but nothing will open a la IE10. Menu bar is missing and none of the favourites will open when they are clicked on. The only way it will work is if we go into the Win 8.1 interface (the stupid one with all the silly tiles), then IE will work from there. Favourites show up, but only if you can figure out the carefully coded "buttons" on the interface. Even then, it comes up as a bunch of "tiles" that one has to scroll through. Anyway, enough said, as this complete change in IE 11 with Win 8.1 is very confusing, particularly when, it would seem, that one doesn't have any say in the matter. This is enough to make one move to Firefox and Linux.

The strange thing is that everything was working as before with IE10, until today (this am), even though Win 8.1 was forced upon us, I mean installed, over a week ago. Why has it taken this long for this to happen?

Is there anyway to restore the old "functionality" that she had in IE 10, where it actually worked off the "start/home/desktop" page without having to go through all the hoops of the tiled interface? Any insight or advice that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated by both my wife and myself.

UPDATE: After a bit of research, I think the basic question is how does one get IE11 to work outside of the tiled environment, i.e. on the desktop. Right now, it looks like it is not working on my wife's Desktop, but it seems to work inside the "tiled" environment of Win 8.1.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-11-23 at 15:52.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    F11?

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what this is supposed to do, but it does nothing. Moves a couple of the "menu" bars at the top around, but it doesn't provide any "functionality".

It is almost like we are looking at a "shell" application - the "window" is open to the application , but there is no functionality behind it. (Lights are on but nobody is home.)

The interface comes up with the "Favourites" along the left side, but there is no menu bar and if you click on a Favourite URL, nothing happens. I am beginning to think that IE11 will not work outside of the "tile" interface, i.e., will not work from the "desktop". Is this true?

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    You could try to reset IE 11 to the default settings. It could solve your issue or it could not.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You could try to reset IE 11 to the default settings. It could solve your issue or it could not.
    How would I do that? I am afraid this whole Win 8/8.1 thing has me a bit baffled.

As it stands, right now, it is does not seem possible to access any of the IE 11 settings from the Desktop and accessing them from the win 8.1 tiled environment is not intuitively obvious, at least not to me. Any hints as to how to do this?

Thanks.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-11-23 at 19:33.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You choose the Tools menu -> Internet options, Advanced tab and then click the reset button near the bottom of the dialog, in the reset internet explorer settings section.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You choose the Tools menu -> Internet options, Advanced tab and then click the reset button near the bottom of the dialog, in the reset internet explorer settings section.
    I get the distinct feeling that I am not communicating the problem properly. IE11 will not run from the desktop, so I do not have access to a "Tools menu", at least not so it is obvious. I can only access IE 11 from the "tiled" interface and I do not have access to any menus as I did have when IE 10 was running under the previous Win 8. When I click on the "wrench", all I get is an "pop-up"menu that gives me three choices - "Find on page", "View in desktop" and "View downloads". I cannot get to any menu that says "Internet Options", etc. I assume if I could, that would solve the problem. The problem being that IE11 will not run from the Desktop. I do not know what happened, but this only happened earlier today on my wife's computer - no I do not know what she was doing and neither does she - but she would like to have the capability of running IE 11 from the Desktop back. Any suggestions as to how to make this happen?

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am sorry about that, I got the impression that IE was running, just not without issues.~

You can get the same exact dialog I was talking about can be accessed from Control Panel -Internet Options. Does that work?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sorry about that, I got the impression that IE was running, just not without issues.~

You can get the same exact dialog I was talking about can be accessed from Control Panel -Internet Options. Does that work?
    Does not seem to work. When I click on the <Reset> button, I get a dialog box telling me to shut down all windows applications before it can reset IE. The problem is the only Windows apps that are running are the ones that are necessary to keep the display going and all the other things that are basic to keeping Windows going. When I click on the <OKAY> button, nothing happens and I am left looking at the Internet Options panel in the corner of the screen. IE 11 will still not run from the Desktop.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you really need IE or can you use another browser? If you can,that would be my suggestion for now. Hopefully MS will fiix the IE issues,that seem to be affecting quite a few users.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting that you mention "IE issues that seem to be affecting quite a few users", as I did not know this. My wife is content to use the browser from within the "tiled" interface for now, but it is a bit frustrating. I wonder how long it will take MS to fix this problem? If push comes to shove, as they say, I may introduce her to Firefox or one of the other browsers. Thanks for your help with this, even though it didn't resolve the issue.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, if you look at the IE forum here, you will see that your situation is not really that uncommon. I fear I cannot state when they are going to fix it, or if they will fix it, at all. I would expect they did, hopefully it won't be until the release of IE 12.

I would say that maybe introducing another browser can be a good option. IE in Metro mode has some limitations compared to the desktop versions, but it should maybe be your wife's call .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely her call!

I understand that part of the "problem" with IE11 is that not all web sites will handle the new software. I don't know what that is all about, but it is not the problem that my wife is having. I guess we will have to wait for the next iteration of IE, or move to another browser.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-11-24 at 11:52.

Thanks
    Set IE to always open in the Desktop version as follows:

AlwaysIEDesktop.jpg

Open her Home Page by manually typing in the URL in the address bar, then go to Internet Options and set the home page by clicking Use Current.

UseCurrent.jpg

These might solve your problems if I am reading your post correctly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    IE11 will not run from the desktop,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast