Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ron M,
    Im coming to this a little late, but if the great ladies and gentlemen in here cant get you fixed up, you might try this. Go to the Windows Community Forums and sign in. You will see Home, Categories, Participate, and Additional Support. Click on Additional Support, and that will give you some different support options. I used the telephone support a week or so back, and beings that my equipment and 8.1 was new the call was free and all my issues were solved!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Right Click on a blank portion of the taskbar and click on Menu Bar or Command Bar or both. When you are on the Desktop version (as I mentioned above) the commands work the same as IE 9 and IE 10. I do not use the Metro addition of IE 11 at all. I hate it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well thanks guys, I wasn't checking back on this forum since I thought the problem was not going to be solved, I see I have a few new things to investigate. Will do so in the am.

Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I do not use the Metro addition of IE 11 at all. I hate it.
    Seriously Ted? Are you talking about the Metro version of I.E. 11 or the Metro in general?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I specifically was discussing the Metro version of IE. I do not use many of the Metro apps either, I just have not had the need to look through most of the apps. The only Metro apps I use are a couple of games. Everything else is done on the Desktop. I do specifically always open the Desktop version of IE as I hate the Metro version.

For you with the Win 8 RT version, you might be forced to explore and use those Metro apps. For my with Win 8.1 Pro, I do not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Comcast Xfinity is not compatible with IE 11. Some have recommended running that browser in compatibility mode

Thanks
    I just pulled Comcast Exfinity and didn't have any problems
    Thanks John

Thanks
    I specifically was discussing the Metro version of IE. I do not use many of the Metro apps either, I just have not had the need to look through most of the apps. The only Metro apps I use are a couple of games. Everything else is done on the Desktop. I do specifically always open the Desktop version of IE as I hate the Metro version.

For you with the Win 8 RT version, you might be forced to explore and use those Metro apps. For my with Win 8.1 Pro, I do not.
    Ted, Ted, Ted. that is totally untrue I am not forced in any manner, way, shape, or form to use the metro apps. I can switch to desktop (which I do on a fair number of occasions) any time I want. If your talking about being able to load software, then you would be correct. But honestly the only two pieces of software that I have on my laptop that I truly miss, are MSFT Streets and Trips, and my full Adobe Acrobat. But even though those are not available, there are suitable replacements:
    Streets and Trips can and is easily replace by Maps (Web or Tile), Nokia Here (web only anyway) Adobe Acrobat is replaced by my being able to "Export" a document to pdf.
    What the RT does IMHO is make it easy for a person to utilize a total Microsoft Ecosystem, from the Windows Phone 8 on up.

But back to the I.E. 11 discussion. For I would say 90% of browsing on my tablet, I use the Tile version of I.E. 11. The reason that I like using the Tile version is that I am not using a keyboard and or mouse, so using the back arrow on the sites I visit is a pain in the pattuti, where as in the tile version I can simply close the second tab to go back, or not. But! that is basically the same way I surf on my Windows 8 Phone, so I'm used to it.
    Using Windows 8.1 on a laptop or PC I'd bet is a different experience than using it on a tablet. I am also sure that if I were to attach a keyboard to my tablet, that using Windows would be different too.

Just my $.02 worth

John
    Thanks John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right Click on a blank portion of the taskbar and click on Menu Bar or Command Bar or both. When you are on the Desktop version (as I mentioned above) the commands work the same as IE 9 and IE 10. I do not use the Metro addition of IE 11 at all. I hate it.
    The problem is that IE11 will not work in Desktop mode. I just get a "blank shell" that displays the interface and the Favorites, but does absolutely nothing when anything - buttons, taskbar, etc. - is clicked, so this will not work. The problem is to get the Win 8.1 version of IE, being IE11, to work on the desktop. If I can get that to work, then everything else should fall into place.

Ron M

Thanks
    Sorry John, I thought I read the RT version does not have access to the Desktop. Since I have never used the RT version, I was unsure of that, so I mentioned you "might" have to use the Metro versions. It's good to know you can access the desktop, but in my case I would miss some of the desktop apps I use. It's good you have found replacement Metro apps for those desktop apps you use.

I use Streets and Trips a lot, along with an advanced GPS when traveling in my motor coach. I'll have to check out Maps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    no worries Ted. If you're looking for a great mapping solution I would look at the Nokia HERE Maps. Besides having just about everything one would want in a mapping solution, you can also use them offline. I use them on my phone with no cellular connection and haven't gotten lost yet. You can go to Nokia.com and take a look
    Thanks John

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been an IE user since the beginning (Dark ages) and have had no interest in changing and learning new things. However, IE11 is so buggy that I was forced to try another browser. I chose Chrome. I actually like it better now that I have used it. Don't be so stubborn, try another browser. I still need to keep IE available for about three websites, hopefully it will get fixed sometime.

Just my experience.

Bill R

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billrice View Post
    I have been an IE user since the beginning (Dark ages) and have had no interest in changing and learning new things. However, IE11 is so buggy that I was forced to try another browser. I chose Chrome. I actually like it better now that I have used it. Don't be so stubborn, try another browser. I still need to keep IE available for about three websites, hopefully it will get fixed sometime.

Just my experience.

Bill R
    That's pretty similar to my own experience. I used IE almost exclusively up to IE 9. Then got annoyed with so many issues and moved to Chrome. It will be hard for IE to make me go back and IE 11 is definitely not the one that will make me go back.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I don't know guys I don't seem to be having any problems with it at all. Other than one site, and that site (nbcnews .com) has just gone to H... since Comcast bought NBC and Microsoft is not associated with it anymore. It loads slower than molasses in January, lots of script errors and the list goes on. But like I said its the only site that I have trouble with.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    The only sites I have trouble with are a couple of RV Forum sites, and those only when I attempt to use the Reply Taskbar icons (Link, Insert Image, etc.)

The biggest problem for me, which at present is somewhat of an irritant, is the IE Crashed error message and finding a solution when I close IE or an IE tab. This does not happen every time, but often.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast