New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 not working in Windows 8

Hi: I am in great need of your expertise. I have a new Samsung Windows 8 64 bit laptop running IE 10. IE worked upon setup and AOLas well as AOL. After about a week IE-10 quit entirely. All I get when trying to open it either from the tiles or desktop is: "THIS PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED." (AOL continues to work fine)

I have removed all add-ons.... turned IE on, off multiple times..... made it the default browser, made AOL default browser, etc.

In addition to not being able to get IE to work, when I try to run a program such as Driver Update Setup I'm told that a connection with setup can not be established, even when AOL is the default.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

Thanks
    I would hazard a guess in saying that it [might] have something to do with AOL on your system.
    Fortunately, it's been many many years since I've used it, so I can't make an informed comment, except to say that...

If you can avoid installing anything AOL, I would do so.
    They have a long and terrible history of junking people's computers.

Ensure that you've run at least two independent antivirus/antimalware scans on the system.
    There is the sfc /scannow command that should be tried. check out the link for more details.

Apologies for not being able to help further.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - thanks for the response. It could be an issue with AOL, but I'm not ready to accept that just yet. AOL and IE worked fine together for over a week before IE quit responding. I do have the most recent version of AOL (9.7) which supposedly is compatible with W-8. We all have preferences for styles and formats and unfortunately I find AOL much easier to manage and organize my emails, which I have a lot of. I'd like to find a fix, but if it is an AOL problem then I will likely just buy 7 and go back to the tried and true.

Thanks
    Personally I would dump everything AOL, and also not use an app such as Driver Update as these sort of apps have a poor reputation as well. If things seem to be working you probably do not need driver updates. If you think you might need an update just go to the device manufacturer's web site and get drivers from a reliable source for that device.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Amen to the tried and true. AOL browser depends on a working I.E. so if one goes both go and there's been an abnormally high slug of I.E.10 (mostly on W7) and I.E. 11 problems.
    AOL desktop looks to me like it's basically just a browser that has a AOL toolbar to get access to those things on the toolbar more quickly and easily. If that's not the case, excuse my ignorance, but if it is, these things are easily replaced or accounted for in other browsers if you don't mind that approach. For instance the Chrome bookmark bar could be used to only hold your AOL shortcuts and there's even a AOL mail extension for Chrome (works with @aol and @aim but not @mail or @talktalk.net). Also Firefox has a AOL oneclick addon that might perform very similarly to the AOL toolbar.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    AOL browser depends on a working I.E. so if one goes both go and there's been an abnormally high slug of I.E.10 (mostly on W7) and I.E. 11 problems.
    AOL desktop looks to me like it's basically just a browser that has a AOL toolbar to get access to those things on the toolbar more quickly and easily. If that's not the case, excuse my ignorance, but if it is, these things are easily replaced or accounted for in other browsers if you don't mind that approach
    Hi - thanks for the different replies. It is correct that AOL depends on a working I.E. So I don't know why AOL still worked but I.E. didn't. I do realize that there are other browsers that will do as good of a job, I was just trying to keep with the tried and true if at all possible. I uninstalled everything AOL on the computer and still could not get I.E. to work. So that left me with no internet connection whatsoever. I tried Chrome and Firefox on the offhand they'd go through, but not luck. I finally did a system refresh, and started from scratch. I don't know what the difference was from the first time around, but that did the trick. I now have both AOL and I.E. working perfectly together and even got the printer to run wirelessly. In fact, reinstalling programs seemed to go smoother than the first time around, almost as if the refresh pulled in the updated drivers needed?