Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer constantly drops Wi-Fi connection

I have Win 7 Pro, 8 GB RAM, a Netgear Wi-Fi receiver.

While I am working on the 'net, my computer consistently drops the signal. It soon signs itself back and continues so long as I am actively using the connection. If I stop, to read the screen or something, most likely it will disconnect. Then it reconnects, then it drops the signal...

We have 4 computers on the Wi-Fi account, DSL from CenturyLink. We have very thick walls in our house and so have found it necessary to install an extender. My computer is the only one that gives any trouble with the signal.

How did I get myself into this mess? How do I get out of it?

Thanks as usual guys.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does that happen when your computer is within range of the extender, or it doesn't matter where the computer is located?

Are your advanced power settings for the wifi adapter configured for maximum performance? Is your wifi adapter driver up to date?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks ruirib. I should have said that I checked the adapter's driver and it is the latest one.

As for the location of the computer, it's a desktop in my office about 30' from the modem/router and 25' from the extender.

I know that sounds like I have more 'router power' than I need, but this is an old house with very thick walls - and a lot of them. I usually connect to the extender, since it is more powerful, but both are available to me.

Maybe I should mention that I have named my networks lavelle and lavelle_ext and they have the same password.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

You didn't reply regarding the adapter's power settings. Can you check that?
    Does the problem persist regardless of the router you connect to? Are you router single band routers or dual band. If the latter, what band is your router connected to?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You might try running an ethernet cable to the area in question. I did that in my house. Brought the wire in/out through the closet, so I wouldn't have to try to fish wire through the wall. However, if the computer is in a room adjacent to the router, simply drill a hole all the way through the wall (watch out for electrical wires in the wall!), and then pass the ethernet cable through the hole. Problem solved very simply.

If that isn't an acceptable solution, perhaps a powerline adapter would do the trick. Uses your house's electrical wiring. I've never used one, so I can't comment on them.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-11-25 at 11:06.