New Lounger
    Thanks

Need bootable partitioning program?

I was trying to repartition my hard drive and Win 8.1 would not boot afterward. I tried to repair Windows and that didn't work. Finally decided to reformat the c: drive from a CMD line and did that but Windows 8 would not install saying the partition was too big (435 GB). I was using Mini Tool Partitioning
    Wizard. Went to a smaller partition and tried but Win 8 would not install because the partition need to be a FAT32. Another try at installing and it said the partition was a GPT type and could not install. Changed to FAT32 but the GPT thing stopped the install.

I had a bootable disk from MTPW but it appears to need Win OS in order to work.

I would like to try a bootable partitioning program that would enable me to wipe the disk or partition and enable a Win8 install. Would that work?

Hard drive is 1000 GB in a 1 y.o. HP desktop.

I have a Win8 Pro disk.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Terry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Terry,

Boot from the Win 8 Install disk it should offer you the option to partition the drive. Sorry I don't remember the exact wording but I know it is there. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RT, It does not give me that option. It does have the option to format and when chosen, it lasts about 5 seconds and then comes back with the GPT message. I can get to Advanced Options but those are Restore, Image Recovery, Automatic Repair and Command Prompt. None of those help with my problem. I can go to CMD but there appears to be now partition command available. Its been years since I have thrashed around in DOS and I cannot recall most of the commands. Did print a list of CMD commands and partition is not one of them.
    Terry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    After MTPW hosed 2 XP system partitions recently, I don't trust it a bit.
    I dunno why it's rejecting GPT but if it'll boot with a GParted utility disc (one good source is the Parted Magic ISO file) you can covert it to a MBR disk and format NTFS and see if W8 will install after that. If not, use GParted to convert back to GPT again and maybe it'll work with a fresh GUID.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Terry,

The command you want is DISKPART. Here's the MS Help Article. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,
    I missed that on the list of commands. I'll give it a try although 11 pages of instructions is a little scary!

FUN,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it if partdisk doesn't do the job.
    Terry