Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remove access to applications in workgroup environment

My wife and I use a laptop on which I have installed Windows 7 with the latest patches.
    We have separate accounts and I have arranged that when she signs in Windows starts Notepad for her.
    She then creates her Christmas message to all our friends of the happenings in our life/s.

Recently she has complained that the system shows a lot of applications icons etc. which she has no intention of ever using.
    I installed these applications primarily for my use but she is confused by them.
    What I want to do is to remove them from her desktop and start menu but not from the laptop as I use them.

I have been told that I need to change the access rights to the applications but don't know how to do this.

Can anyone help with computer instructions to achieve a quiet life?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    She has her own desktop (which you can access at c:\users\YourWifesUserName\desktop), which means you can simply delete any unwanted shortcuts and it won't affect you. All you need is to login to her account, go to the desktop and delete any unwanted shortcuts.

I would probably leave the start menu programs untouched, since most likely they will be common to your account and hers. However, if you want to tweak it, all you would need to do would be to move folders and / or shortcuts from C:\Users\All Users\Start Menu\ to C:\Users\YourAccountUserName\Start Menu\. I won't advise doing this unless you feel confident that you can handle any resulting issues. It is also possible that you may need to change security permissions to access any of these folders.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    An easy way to get rid of unwanted icons without really getting rid of them is to create a folder on her desktop, say "Misc Icons", and move them into there. In this way, you can easily get them back if you want them. Or, if she wants one of them after all, she can easily open the Misc Icons folder to get to the icon.

Good luck with that "quiet life" goal. Let me know if you ever achieve it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-11-25 at 10:20.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    She has her own desktop (which you can access at c:\users\YourWifesUserName\desktop), which means you can simply delete any unwanted shortcuts and it won't affect you. All you need is to login to her account, go to the desktop and delete any unwanted shortcuts.
    Unfortunately accessing the Desktop via (c:\users\YourWifesUserName\desktop) does not show all the shortcuts.
    Obviously the shortcuts can be deleted or as another responder said copy them into another folder on the Desktop but this does not prevent them being used.
    So I am still baffled by the advice I was given to 'change the access rights to the applications'?

Administrator
    Thanks
    There may be shortcuts in c:\users\all users, but there shouldn't be many.

Why do you want to prevent the apps from being run?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There may be shortcuts in c:\users\all users, but there shouldn't be many.

Why do you want to prevent the apps from being run?
    There is no c:\users\all users.
    The problem is confusion by someone who is a technophobe. If she doesn't know what they do she gets frightened about possibly clicking one accidentally.
    I am trying to get her trained but it is difficult.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No shortcuts, no risk, I'd say. Anyway, I guess you can right click each of the shortcuts and remove read & read & execute permissions for your wife's account.

All Windows installations I know have an all users account that includes settings common to all user accounts.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree the absence of shortcuts eliminates the possibility of being clicked by mistake.
    The absence of 'all users' is strange all my other machines have it.
    Finding out why is cue for another thread I think.

If you imagine a work environment where they have hot desking.

If they do NOT use a SERVER this problem would be much greater proportion.
    What then? you would need to prevent one or more of the users from having access to the start menu and getting access that way. How?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs is where the "all users" start menu additions go in Windows 7. One needs to show hidden folders to see it (protected OS files if it still doesn't show). Removing them from this location will remove the common start menu locations from all users so you would want to add the ones you wish to retain to your personal account either by drag and drop or making your own custom list of start menu shortcuts in C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

MacNala (2013-11-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Desktop shortcuts for "All Users" are stored at C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    I agree the absence of shortcuts eliminates the possibility of being clicked by mistake.
    The absence of 'all users' is strange all my other machines have it.
    Finding out why is cue for another thread I think.

If you imagine a work environment where they have hot desking.

If they do NOT use a SERVER this problem would be much greater proportion.
    What then? you would need to prevent one or more of the users from having access to the start menu and getting access that way. How?
    I think you probably have the folder hidden. You need to have Windows Explorer configured to show hidden and system files.

The structure for the all users folder is similar to the structure for the "actual" users's folders. There will be a desktop folder that includes the folders and shortcuts for the programs that are available to all users.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Desktop shortcuts for "All Users" are stored at C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Bruce
    I can't reproduce that. In my case, they are at C:\Users\All Users\Desktop.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I can't reproduce that. In my case, they are at C:\Users\All Users\Desktop.
    I don't think you can delete anything from there, as I believe that's only a junction point which redirects to C:\Users\Public\Desktop.

Bruce