Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right-Click on Word System Tray Icon - Changing Results

On my old computer, when I right-clicked on the MS Word (2010) System Tray icon I got a 3-section result: pinned documents; recent edited documents; and options to start Word and un-pin it from the System Tray. I had at lest 20 documents pinned to the list

When my hard disk crashed, I got a new computer and reinstalled Word 2010. Now, right-clicking on the icon shows only pinned documents (limited to 12) and the Start/Un-pin option, with no recent documents.

How do I (1) increase the maximum number of pinned documents shown and (2) add the recently edited list?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Krsmav,

1. Right-click on an empty part of the taskbar.
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Select the Jump List tab.
    4. Select the desired options.

JLProps.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

krsmav (2013-11-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked! Thanks over and over.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A new problem. I set the Properties as recommended. It worked for a while, but now all the pinned and recent files have disappeared from the System Tray Word 2010 right-click popup menu. This has happened several times, but I got the complete menu back by rebooting. That doesn't work anymore.

The only workaround I've found is to open each file, add a space, delete it and save. Then the file pops up on the Recent list and I can pin it from there. Needless to say, that's a PITA.

When I open Word and click on Files at the top left, the dropdown menu shows my recent files, but they aren't pinned. I clicked on the pushpin to add each of them to the pinned menu, but they still don't appear on the right-click System Tray Word popup menu.

Is there a way to recover the right-click popup list, or to back up and restore it, or to do a mass add from the Files dropdown?

Thanks.

Thanks
    krsmav,

Do you use CCleaner? Unless you have the settings correct it will wipe out your Pinned & Recent items. I've have this problem and I had the correct settings at one time but have lost them. Maybe someone else knows or a quick search may turn them up. HTH

UPDATE: Ok I tested with the settings below and my lists were preserved.
    ccleaner.JPG
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-01-05 at 22:49.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

krsmav (2014-01-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with CCleaner. It also wipes out the cookies that authenticate my sign-ins to various sites. I now use it only clean the System areas of temp files, etc.

Is there any way to back up the pinned list?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make a backup copy of all the files in the folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestin ations. These are binary (not text) files. Each one contains the jumplist for one application.

You might like to try the free program JumpListsView.exe from NirSoft (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/jump_lists_view.html) to see what's there. The command line switch /stext <Filename> will make a text file of the lists, but that can't be reloaded like a backup.