Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying text within a Form

My mission today is to create a template form in Word 2010 with various functionality. The various functions required aren't a problem by themselves, but I'm having problems creating one template that does them all. This form will be used by over 1,000 users so it has to be robust and simple to use. Due to the IT set-up, they want to avoid using macros. I can get around the 'no macro' request if needed, but want to see if we can do this without macros.

The required functionality is:
    1. Only certain fields are able to be updated by users. (Hence, the form!)
    2. The template will be used to create a document that records objectives. The template will be set up with 2 objectives and the user will be able to insert more using a building block.
    3. Within each objective, there are a number of fields that can be entered by the user. For some of these fields, the user needs to be able to enter information into the field for the first objective, and then copy it to the 2nd objective. They also need to be able to copy it to any subsequent objectives that are inserted (using the building block) AND they want to be able to manually alter the information in the fields for any of the objectives if required.

I realise this could get quite tricky as the updating of the fields would need to be 'controllable'. i.e. you may want to be able to enter the fields in Objective 1, copy them to Objective 2, manually update them in Objective 2, add Objective 3 (using a Building Block), copy the fields into Objective 3 from Objective 1, and then manually update the fields in Objective 3.

I have set up the attached sample template which might make the requirements a bit clearer.

I suspect this is too hard (without VBA) and I don't think the user has really thought about this. I can think of ways to do this using VBA and creating buttons on the ribbon, but we want to keep it simple and straightforward so may have to apply some rules around how/when these fields are updated. (e.g. The information is copied once only from Objective 1. After that, any changes must be manually applied or copied using copy and paste.

I managed to do the copying functionality reasonably robustly (without using a form) by using 'esymacro nomacro', bookmarks and cross-references, but this didn't work when I restricted editing.

Then I started checking out Content Controls (and using the Ref field for subsequent occurrences) and I thought I was onto a winner except that the user wouldn't be able to update the 2nd and subsequent objectives. I also can't add the functionality to insert a building block using Content Controls (yip, I'm using the Building Block Gallery Content Control button in the Control section of the Developer tab in the ribbon and have followed all the instructions I can find on the internet, but once I apply protection I'm unable to select any building blocks).

So, I'm back to where I usually am - I've googled and got myself all confused because there are so many ways of doing things. Hence, my original comment - I can do them all individually but not together. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you mean like this updated version? Sample Template.zip

This doesn't use macros and still gives enough flexibility to restrict editing to only certain parts of the document.

You can edit three content controls in each of the existing two tables (including copy and paste) and you can add a new objective table by choosing it from the Quickparts or typing 'NewObjective' and pressing F3.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hadn't thought to set up a group (well, actually, I didn't know what a group did!). Can you only copy the repeated bits by cutting and pasting? That's not really going to work for them. Have I missed something???

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Niki

I'm not sure what your question is driving at. You didn't specify how the user should copy information between fields other than saying you didn't want to use macros. Surely they should achieve this using the normal copy/paste functionality which they should already be familiar with.

If you want them to be able to duplicate a 'page' and then edit the copy then letting them use copy/paste seems a logical choice. If you want them to create a new 'blank page' then that is what the quickpart is there for.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    For some ideas on repeating content (which is what it seems you may be after), see: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...ting_data.html. Obviously, the method you choose will be limited by (a) not using macros and, for the most part, (b) whether you rely on formfields or content controls - you should not use both in the same document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]