Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 Software

Will software that is designated for 8.0 in product descriptions work on 8.1? I'm not sure if the 8.1 is considered a new operating system or just an upgrade to 8.0 as far as software is concerned. If not, then will we see 8.1 included as designated for a software program along with other operating systems? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All software that runs on 8.0 should run on 8.1 without issues. There is always a small possibility of problems with new operating systems, so there can be no definitive statement. In all programs I have tried on 8.1, only a very specific app that dealt with operating systems internals failed to run properly.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

squire (2013-11-27)

Thanks
    You may also find that most S/W written for Win 7, and even XP will work on Win 8.1. Many of the apps have been updated where there were compatibility issues.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

squire (2013-11-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Will software that is designated for 8.0 in product descriptions work on 8.1? I'm not sure if the 8.1 is considered a new operating system or just an upgrade to 8.0 as far as software is concerned. If not, then will we see 8.1 included as designated for a software program along with other operating systems? Thanks.
    Maybe I can shed some light.....
    Windows 8.1 it definitely a NEW OS and not just an update or Service Pack to Windows 8.0.

However, most all programs that ran well on 8.0 will also run just fine on 8.1.
    Except for a few, like my 23 year old "Mah Jongg" game. It ran OK under Win-8.0, using 16 bit compatibility,
    but it won't install at all on Win-8.1.

EDIT 11/1/13: However, I have since found a way, to get my 23 year old, 16 bit program to run on my 8.1/32 OS.
    It's not a HACK, but just the proper use of what the MS Programmers provided. Like a back door key.

However, most of the Registry Tweaks that I used on XP, Vista and Win-7, also work equally well on Win-8.0 and 8.1.
    So, under the hood, 8.1 really isn't as different as some would think.
    But why they had to make it just enough different, to make it harder for us to use, is beyond my comprehension.
    And some Nerd at Redmond, actually got paid for that. Go figure!

Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor

EDIT: I even found a way to be able to use the old DOS command "Deltree.exe" on Windows 8.1
    I use it in my own Cleanup.bat (batch file) to clean junk out of my PC.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-12-01 at 13:42.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

squire (2013-11-30)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    But why they had to make it just enough different, to make it harder for us to use, is beyond my comprehension.

The Doctor
    Well if the desktop disappears altogether in favor of a "Metro" desktop then it's pretty easy to comprehend, all programs will be funneled through The Company Store and any traditional desktop program is out in the cold. Sixteen tons, sixteen pounds, MS doesn't care as long as they provide what they think is the future before we get there and it finally allows them enforcement of their terms of service (under the pretext of funner, safer, faster and more productive...the usual BS) like Bill Gates has envisioned for maybe 30 years now.
    It's a heck of a master plan, takes way more gumption than I would have for sure, but unless MS supports W7 basicly in perpetuity for the majority of enterprise concerns, I don't see yet how they are made to swallow the blue pill and I've been cogitating on this one for some time now.

Thanks
    Hey Doc, the Mahjong game that comes with the Metro screen is pretty good. I do use it. Just search for MS Mahjong in the App Store. It does work well.

The only couple of things I use in The Win 8 Start Screen are a couple of games. MS Solitaire Collection and MS Mahjong. I suppose at some point in time, if I have the time, I might search for some other useful titles, but for now the apps I have installed on my Desktop work quite well for me. YMMV!

As the good Dr. says, Happy Holidays to all!
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-11-30 at 08:31.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

squire (2013-11-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. I for one refuse to have a MS account and don't use any of the apps offered in their store. Personally, I resent their intrusion into my life and computer. As long as I can, I'll not bow to them!

Thanks
    You do not need a MS account to use the Metro apps for the most part. The games I play do not require a MS account, and they play equally well.

Although MS does encourage people to sign in using a MS account, it is not a requirement. I would encourage you to look at some of the apps if you are so inclined. As I said you do not need a MS account. There may very well, by now, be some very worthwhile apps. I have heard many of the news apps are quite good. I do enjoy a couple of the games.

I would not discount them all just because MS tri Just use your local account and see what's available.es to get you to sign in using a MS account.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. I for one refuse to have a MS account and don't use any of the apps offered in their store. Personally, I resent their intrusion into my life and computer. As long as I can, I'll not bow to them!
    That's going to be extremely difficult going forward with Win 8. Clearly MS wants to move everything to Store delivery in the future and is stepping up the no-support deadline; Win 8 is going to lose support long before Win 7 will according to the schedule.

Thanks
    WOW! Someone after my own heart! Lets do lunch!
    I've never been one to knuckle under to overbearing authority.
    After three years in the USArmy, I'd had enough of conformity. With every company I ever worked for, I've been an innovator and designer.

On Windows 8 or 8.1, I live on the Desktop, configured to look like my XP desktop of about 12 years.
    Metro? Forgetaboutit!!! There's absolutely nothing there that I want.

MS even screwed up my old favorite Solitaire game, (the new one looks like CRAP) so I just import Sol.exe and cards.dll from XP, and my old game works just fine.

I'm even tweaking and tuning 8.1, so I can run 16 bit programs.
    It's not really hacking, since all I need is already built into Windows.
    It might however, be like sneaking in the back door.

I do like 8.0 and 8.1 for their built in, even if hidden, compatibility. Much better than Vista or Win-7.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-12-01 at 14:02.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!