Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Forced upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Last night I was working in Windows 8, when a bar appeared on the screen, asking me if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 8.1. The only option available was to go to the Microsoft store. I couldn't get rid of the bar any other way, so I logged out and back in.

The bar appeared again, but this time there was an additional option: Do the upgrade later.

The bar extended across the entire screen, left to right, and it was about an inch high. Nothing could be run while it was on the screen; it locked everything down.

I have Windows 8 32-bit.

Anyone else seen this? And are we going to be forced to upgrade to 8.1?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It seems that if you proceed and go to the store, you can stop the upgrade.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    It seems? I'm a bit leery of moving forward with something I don't want to do, in hopes of backing out of the process at some point. I've been burned before when I've done that, although never with any Microsoft product or service.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That's what I read, I didn't experience that myself. Anyway, the Windows 8.1 upgrade won't start with a single click, it's just like any other Windows upgrade, you will have a few opportunities to cancel, even if you start it willingly.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-26)

Thanks
    Hopefully, my starting the upgrade, and then backing out, will keep it from continuing to try to get me to upgrade.

While we're on that subject, if I have Windows 8 32-bit, with 2 GB of RAM, and always operating in Desktop mode with StartIsBack, are you aware of any problems that I will encounter with Windows 8.1?

Thanks
    You probably will not notice the difference. You might have to reinstall StartIsBack to regain it's functionality. It seems most of the problems with Win 8.1 are driver or S/W compatibility. I would definitely run the Upgrade Assistant and check the Windows Compatibility Center.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 8.1 requires StartIsBack+:

I have Windows 8 and StartIsBack. How do I upgrade to Windows 8.1?
    Before upgrading to Windows 8.1, ensure you have StartIsBack version 2.0 or above. If you have earlier version you must update StartIsBack.
    Once you upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 you must install StartIsBack+. You don't have to uninstall StartIsBack; your settings and license will be kept.

http://www.startisback.com/#faq-tab

Bruce

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Hopefully, my starting the upgrade, and then backing out, will keep it from continuing to try to get me to upgrade.

While we're on that subject, if I have Windows 8 32-bit, with 2 GB of RAM, and always operating in Desktop mode with StartIsBack, are you aware of any problems that I will encounter with Windows 8.1?
    I guess you just need to go to the store and can stop there. On this thread, someone suggest removing KB2885699 & KB2871389 to prevent it from happening again, if you really don't want to go to 8.1. Not sure whether it will work or not, but it is being suggested by an MVP, so it may work.

I haven't heard of any specific issues with 8.1. One problem I read about involves USB devices, which in certains circumstances, may stop working in 8.1, due to issues with the drivers (8.1 seems to perform a check 8.0 didn't and some devices that worked on 8 may not work on 8.1). I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about it, here, though.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Thanks
    I haven't received any upgrade notices since I disabled the Windows store live tile.
    I recommend you do the same in W8 if you don't plan to upgrade. You can still access the store if you need to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and good morning.
    I did get this offer to upgrade to .1 a few times. To get rid of it, I elected to accept it then when I got on the Store page, I clicked back to my desktop, ( Win Key ) and it never was presented again. Did I chance on the solution ? JP.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I haven't received any upgrade notices since I disabled the Windows store live tile.
    I recommend you do the same in W8 if you don't plan to upgrade. You can still access the store if you need to.
    This sounds like a good plan. However, I am inclined to upgrade, in order to keep up with the times, if there will be no problems.

I failed to mention that I have a local account, not a Microsoft account. My guess is that that won't make any difference.

Also, my digital live is very simple, nothing fancy or exotic, and nothing very old except for my computer itself, and my original IBM keyboard. Therefore, there is less to go wrong for me than for most.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Susan Bradley covered the upgrade without using a Microsoft account: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...an-ms-account/

Even if you don't have access to the article, it's rather easy to keep without creating an account. On the first screen where you are asked for the Microsoft Account, choose the option to create a new account. On the following screen, where you are asked the details for the new account, at the bottom there is an option to continue using your existing local account. Just click it and you will be done.

If you upgrade, better to disable all security apps before starting and make sure they don't boot active again, until the upgrade is completed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-11-27)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll take the plunge when I get a few hours of free time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll take the plunge when I get a few hours of free time.
    Hopefully it will be uneventful. Don't forget to image before .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hopefully it will be uneventful. Don't forget to image before .
    It's about time to get a new hard drive anyway, mine being small and really old. I'll just image from the old to the new, and then retire the old one with the complete image on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast