Lounger
    Thanks

Advice sought for backup program

I'm using Windows 7, and am looking for a free program for backing up files etc (not a system backup).
    Some programs will backup files that have ben changed or altered, but will they also backup newly-created
    files in addition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Thatman,

I really like RoboCopy for this function. I have a batch file that contains my RoboCopy command and a shortcut to the batch file on a toolbar attached to the task bar. That's a long winded way of saying 2 clicks and all my newly created/changed data is backed up to my NAS drive.

Here is the RoboCopy batch file I use.
    Code:
    Echo Off
    REM  Updated: 10/27/10
    Echo.  -------- Copying BEKDocs to V: drive -------
    Robocopy "G:\BEKDocs" "V:\BEKDocs" /MIR /XJD /R:5 /W:15 /MT:32 /V /NP /LOG:RoboCopy.log 
    Echo.  -------- Copy Completed              -------
    Pause
    Notes:
    1. The V: drive is a mapped drive to my NAS. I use the mapping feature rather then the UNC path to keep the file compatible with my backup machine that has a 2nd hard drive as V:
    2. I added a pause line in the file for you so you can see when the backup is complete I don't have it in my actual file as I know when the Command Line Icon disappears from the task bar it is done and I have tested this extensively so I know it works. YMMV.
    3. Of course you'll have to replace the source/destination locations to match your system.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For making straight copies (i.e., no compression or "zipping" into archive formats), take a look at Syncback Free. After installation you create your own "profiles", which are essentially sets of conditions of what to back up and where. You can fine-tune the conditions as you wish. Profiles can be run individually from the Syncback console, or you can setup a desktop shortcut or scheduled task to run multiple profiles without intervention.

Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek: I've not had any experience with command line functions or batch files, so it's somewhat above my head.

dg1261: Syncback Free sounds like a simpler option, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks to both of you your suggestiions.

Thanks
    I can highly recommend Memeo. It's not free, but it's also not very expensive.

I recommend Memeo Premium, because it allows you to specify which folders you want backed up:
    http://memeo.com/en/premium-backup/f.../?affChecked=1

It costs $50.

You could go with Memeo Instant, for $30, but it backs up all files; you can't limit the backup to just the desired folders.

With Memeo Premium, you tell it which folders you want backed up; it does an initial backup of those folders, and then continually monitors them to see if any changes occur (e.g. if any files change). It immediately backs up any changes.

You can set it to keep up to five versions back of the files it backs up. Two or three, however, should be sufficient, and you won't be using so much drive space for the Memeo archive.

Best of all, the Memeo archive uses the Windows file format. In other words, you can search through it with Windows Explorer, copying items out as desired, without having to run Memeo to do it.

If you want a continual backup of your files, Memeo is an excellent choice.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can Memeo delete files?
    For example, if I delete a file or a webpage in the source folder, would Memeo detect it was absent
    and delete in the backup folder?

I'm currently trying out Syncback Free; deleting bits of text in a WordPerfect document to see if it can detect
    the change - it does!
    Last edited by thatman; 2013-11-28 at 11:18. Reason: Typo error

Thanks
    I don't believe that Memeo will delete a file if you delete it from the source. The whole point of Memeo is that if you do accidentally delete (or change) something, you can backtrack to before the delete or change occurred. My experience has been that it has not deleted items from the archive that were deleted and needed to be recovered.

It wouldn't be worth anything if it did delete items from the archive that were deleted from the source folder.

Memeo doesn't synchronize the archive with the folders on your hard drive; rather, it makes a copy of the folders on your archive, and keeps a few versions back of each item, so that you can recover them as needed.