New Lounger
    Thanks

Word for Mac 2011 Protecting only portions of a form that contains tables & images

I am trying to create a form that contains tables and will require a user to insert a picture. From what I have read, it seems that in order for a user to insert an image, that section of the form needs to be unprotected. I believe I need to use Section Breaks continuous in order to protect only certain parts of the form.

Is it possible to do this when there are tables within my form? For example, the first page of my form includes a table, the first column (left side) would have certain text fields (so would be protected). The second column (right side) would permit a user to insert an image (so I believe this would need to be unprotected). I thought i could do this with section breaks but I can't seem to insert section breaks within a table.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Since you have Word 2011, you have access to Word's content controls and the 'read only' restrictions you can apply to a document, with the ability to mark specific areas as exceptions so they can be edited. With this approach, there's no need for Section breaks and the exceptions can be as little as a single character. You also have access to the picture content control for inserting pictures. With a document protected for forms, it is impossible to insert/edit a picture into the document until the protection is disabled (though there is a workaround that requires linking to an external document). And, as you've discovered, you can't use Section breaks within a table...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. Just a question about managing contact controls- do I have to be part of a network? Although I see the permissions button in the review ribbon, when I try to manage credentials, they ask for my fully qualified network user name and password. I just bought Microsoft word for Mac 2011 for myself- I'm not part of a network.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also assuming I have to be connected I a network to use content permissions, I found another solution on this site (thank you everyone!!) to use a macro - which works except for one follow up question I had (here is link to other thread:http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...errerid=102536

The only question I had was whether there is a way to remove words that reference the instruction after a user inserts the picture.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Cross-posted at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/m...c-768fb9863bd2
    For cross-posting etiquette, please read: http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Sorcha (2013-12-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcha View Post
    Just a question about managing contact controls- do I have to be part of a network? Although I see the permissions button in the review ribbon, when I try to manage credentials, they ask for my fully qualified network user name and password.
    No, it has nothing to do with networks. Are you sure you're applying the 'Read-only' editing restrictions and not trying to save the document with a read-only password? These are quite different. For 'Read-only' editing restrictions to be effective with content controls, you don't even need to use a password.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Sorcha (2013-12-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you!! Sorry-- I did not see this message until you referenced it yesterday. i looked into this again and this time, I went to the Finder window, Clicked on Actions, Get Info, And then when the box shows up on the Left, I see there is an option to lock the document. Is this where I am supposed to be? If so, I am not sure how to use the exceptions to mark some of the document as editable.

I also tried going to the developer ribbon when the document was open, and clicking on Restrict Permissions, but then I was asked for the fully qualified user name and password.

I appreciate any help- thank you so much.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not having a Mac handy, it's hard to be sure you're working in the same area but, if you click on 'Restrict Permissions' ('Restrict Editing' on a PC) on the Developer tab, you should see options for 'Editing Restrictions'. Simply click on that ('No changes (read only)' is the default). You should then see an option for Exceptions. Simply use the mouse to mark out all the areas you want users to be able to edit, clicking on the 'Everyone' option for each area. When you're done, click on 'Yes, start enforcing protection'. You'll be prompted for a password; whether you use one is up to you - it's meant to stop others changing what can be edited, if that's what you want to do.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Sorcha (2013-12-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! I will keep looking but when I look at the Review Tab, I see two options- one is Protect Document (which provides the options for Track Changes, Comments, Forms, Read Only) and the Other is Permissions, and that leads only to Manage Credentials and Request for user name and password. When I go to Developer tab, i only see the Protect Form option. I also have attached a few screen shots of what I am looking at but I know you have already spent alot of time on this question. . .! Thank you so much for your help. Screen Shot Review Tab Permissions Manage Creds.pngScreen Shot Review_ Permissions tab.pngScreen Shot Review Tab Protect Document Options.pngScreen Shot Developer Ribbon Protect Form.png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I suppose the 'fully qualified user name and password' prompt may be a Mac thing; it's not something I'm familiar with from the Windows environment and it seems to want o verify who it is that's claiming rights to restrict the document permissions. That said, I note you're also choosing the 'Forms' restrictions whereas you should be using the 'Read-only' restrictions.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]