New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 shell32.dll icons

In all past versions of windows (Windows 95 through Windows 8) I have been able to change a few of the icons in shell32.dll. However, when I change any or just one of the icons in shell32.dll in Windows 8.1 the OS will not boot until I re-install the original unchanged version of shell32.dll. Does anyone know how to alter one or more of the icons in shell32.dll in Windows 8.1 and get windows to accept the altered file and run with it? Nothing else in the entire file has been altered, just one icon change will hang the computer.

Thanks
    Are altering the original dll file instead of just copying it and changing the suffix to ".icl"?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Are altering the original dll file instead of just copying it and changing the suffix to ".icl"?
    I copy the file, then change the icon(s) within and finally use the altered file to replace the original. Because windows uses this file when it is running the file can only be replaced or altered outside windows. After replacing the original with the altered file, windows refuses to boot. This only happens with Windows 8.1. All other versions of Windows including Windows 8 restart and run just fine and display the changed icon(s).