Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7's XP Mode virtual disk can grow huge

LANGALIST PLUS

Win7's XP Mode virtual disk can grow huge

By Fred Langa

Although Win7's free XP Mode is excellent for running old software, its virtual hard drive can become overly large. But there are ways to control it. Plus: Getting XP-era software to run on Windows 8, and a warning about "silent failures" in Win8's File History.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/win7s-xp-mode-virtual-disk-can-grow-huge/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

dvhirst (2013-11-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    One of my client's pc's is running XP virtual mode. I'm a bit concerned what the impact is on this system when MS stops the support on XP coming April. Especially the security part of course. Can you comment that?
    TIA
    Sjors

New Lounger
    Thanks

Another warning regarding Win8's File History

When I saw your sub-heading "A warning regarding Win8's File History" I thought "Oh good, Fred's going to pick up on the problem I've been having" - but unfortunately yours was a different problem. After I recently upgraded to Win8.1 I found that File History had stopped working altogether. I decided to delete the existing FH files and start again; that's when I discovered that the backup was about ten times the size of the file system being backed up, mainly because under Win8 FH had been making multiple backups of files that were not changing at all. Then when I did restart FH, to a new destination, it backed up only files that newly changed, without making an initial copy of the complete set. At this point I gave up and reverted to using the always reliable Quickshadow, which also has the advantage that, unlike FH, it can backup files that are currently in use; this is important because, in practice, files such as Outlook data files and TrueCrypt containers are always open so FH never backs them up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjors View Post
    Hi Fred,
    One of my client's pc's is running XP virtual mode. I'm a bit concerned what the impact is on this system when MS stops the support on XP coming April. Especially the security part of course. Can you comment that?
    TIA
    Sjors
    Depends on if XP mode is used online or not and if data sharing is any more extensive than a simple USB port capture which can be scanned before allowing it back into host access. One doesn't need any security or updates at all if there are no plausible vectors for infection.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

sjors (2013-12-03)

Thanks
    I believe that you're safer using XP Mode the way FUN describes it, than if you use straight XP; however, I believe that you should still run whatever XP updates are available in your virtual machine. The more caution you use, the less your risk will be.

Also, the same thing applies with anti-virus software. You should run a decent A/V program in your XP virtual machine, and you should keep it updated.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

sjors (2013-12-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, many thanks for a very timely and topical article on XP Mode in Win 7 / 8. I'm using it on a laptop and can't afford the hard drive space utilization; now I have a workable way to control it and several viable alternatives. Very nice, very much appreciated. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Don Hirst

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    Excellent column, as always.
    Wondering if you could elaborate on how you back up to the other machines on your network. I've thought of this for some time but not sure what the best method might be.
    Thanx for all your great columns.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty007 View Post
    Fred,
    Excellent column, as always.
    Wondering if you could elaborate on how you back up to the other machines on your network. I've thought of this for some time but not sure what the best method might be.
    The destination just has to be a shared resource, could be mapped onto the source machine but not necessary if whatever program or utility or command is used for backup can see shared network locations on other machines or NAS devices.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    The destination just has to be a shared resource, could be mapped onto the source machine but not necessary if whatever program or utility or command is used for backup can see shared network locations on other machines or NAS devices.
    Thanx for the reply - I get that part, but I was wondering what exactly you use/recommend for a synchronization program or utility for backing up to other network machines/devices. Do you simply do image backups to other machines? Do you use a specific backup utlity or just run a batch file? Do you only backup certain files to those machines, such as incremental backups between images? I guess I'm looking for more info on your strategy with regard to the other machines. Thanx again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty007 View Post
    Thanx for the reply - I get that part, but I was wondering what exactly you use/recommend for a synchronization program or utility for backing up to other network machines/devices. Do you simply do image backups to other machines? Do you use a specific backup utlity or just run a batch file? Do you only backup certain files to those machines, such as incremental backups between images? I guess I'm looking for more info on your strategy with regard to the other machines. Thanx again.
    Ya I was skirting that part since there can be many strategies depending on what one wants exactly. I only image my OS and programs, not data, others might have a sufficiently small amount to make imaging regularly more practical. I've used Snycback free for a long time now on all recent Windows platforms, I like that uniformity instead of using the "flavor of the month" Microsoft tool, which we found out from the article, wasn't working so good in one instance.
    All good one to one data backup programs should have the same basic modes as Syncback which are straight backup, synchronize and mirror and some will keep versions of the same data files, something I've never needed; I just rename a file via save as... if I think I'll ever need an earlier version. I also don't just do a straight backup which keeps every file that's ever been created and saved in the backup. I mirror data on my slowly changing repository data, like the drive I keep all my downloaded programs and utilities on going back to 2000 or maybe even earlier, it only changes now and then so a monthly backup is plenty and anything I delete from the source I don't want hanging around in the backup drive on the designated network system drive.
    I also don't want to use synchronization in such instances because for the most part I don't want older versions of the same program being restored to the source. However I do utilize synchronization extensively for data backup/exchange between two active systems. That way it doesn't matter which system I use to interact with the data files, creating new ones and altering existing ones, the changes get updated to the other system's data files. Backups are updated going both ways, the only thing one must remember in that case is to delete a file in both (all) locations or it will be restored from the other data set the next time a profile is run, which also means if one accidentally deletes something permanently from one system, no problem, it'll be back the next time the backup is run.

So in short, it really depends on what you want or expect to do with your data. I actually synchronize with three systems, keeping the profile run times so they don't overlap. One other strategy using another system might be if one were using an online backup service like Carbonite. One might backup data from all the other systems to an internal drive on that one system tied to Carbonite so all the data from all systems would be backed up online under just one account.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-11-30 at 16:47. Reason: punctuation corrections

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great info!

Like you, I also use "save as..." quite often if I think there ever might be a need to backtrack. For some time now, I've imaged my primary computer, a Win 7 laptop, weekly to two rotating USB drives and have often thought of mirroring to one of my desktops for both convenience and 'what-if' disaster scenarios.

Thanx for your time, I will definitely check out Syncback.

-Marty

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Canon CanoScan 8000F is incompatible with Win 8, and I'm wondering if XP Mode works with hardware, which, after all, is controlled by its spftware. This is assuming that XP Mode is included in Win 8.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    My Canon CanoScan 8000F is incompatible with Win 8, and I'm wondering if XP Mode works with hardware, which, after all, is controlled by its spftware. This is assuming that XP Mode is included in Win 8.
    Unfortunately, XP Mode is only available with Windows 7.

You could try a different VM technology, though, like VirtualBox, but you will need a valid XP licence for the VM.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how you'd get a copy of XPMode but where there's a will there's usually a way and it does run in Windows 8 using VirutalBox according to this article.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I'm not sure how you'd get a copy of XPMode but where there's a will there's usually a way and it does run in Windows 8 using VirutalBox according to this article.
    Would that usage be a license violation?

Anyway, technically that's not XP mode, but just a VM with XP running in VirtualBox.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast