New Lounger
    Thanks

WIFI connects but no Internet using 40mhz?

I've bought a new router to boost speeds and add 5ghz band but I have a laptop which doesn't seem to like 2.4ghz using 40mhz range and it also doesn't find the 5ghz band signal. The router is an ASUS RT-AC68U (a new model), the laptop is a Asus U31F with a internal realtek wifi adaptor (2 years old). I also have an older Toshiba laptop which has no issues with the new router in either band.

The Asus connects fine to 40mhz with excellent signal but no internet. It seems to try & connect to internet but then disconnects. If I change the router to 20mhz & set a single channel then all is well.
    I've looked at the specs of the Realtek RTL8191SE & it seems to support IEEE 802.11n so I'm at a bit of loss as to what is going on.

I've tried all sorts of things such as changing router channels and making sure the Realtek drivers are up to date but no go. I've also changed the router output to IEEE 802.11n only & not look for legacy devices.

I've compared the Asus laptop & Toshoba network settings & they are identical.

So in short - no internet using dual channel 40mhz even though it connects and it doesn't see the 5ghz signal.

Help please.
    Last edited by fawlty99; 2013-11-27 at 22:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done a bit more experimenting and found that the laptop will occasional get internet access using 40mhz dual channel but usually won't. I tried flushing the DNS which seemed to work for a while but when I checked later it was back to normal - connected to wifi but no internet. Very frustrating.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You may have a driver problem, an adapter malfunction. Do you have the latest drivers?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes latest drivers downloaded from Realtek site. Strangely if I go to the Asus site there are no download for a Realtek chip in that model.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I didn't see anything in the specs that stated 5 GHz support, but the 40 Mhz issue is annoying, but not uncommon (http://superuser.com/questions/14357...n-over-802-11n).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I didn't see anything in the specs that stated 5 GHz support, but the 40 Mhz issue is annoying, but not uncommon (http://superuser.com/questions/14357...n-over-802-11n).
    Thanks. I had assumed 5ghz was possible given it's a fairly new laptop but I was wrong. Re the 40mhz - I've just about given up but your link gave me another option - that being to check WMM settings. I have a feeling that it is disabled so I'll check that later & see what it does.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
    Thanks. I had assumed 5ghz was possible given it's a fairly new laptop but I was wrong. Re the 40mhz - I've just about given up but your link gave me another option - that being to check WMM settings. I have a feeling that it is disabled so I'll check that later & see what it does.
    Let us know how it goes .
    Rui
    -------
    R4