Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-02)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to everyone a couple of more questions. I did as suggested backed up computer and created a repair disk before downloading i.e.10 first thing I did was checked my Banking all worked even the one that told me I needed to use Java which I continued with ignoring that message and it worked without it but I remember reading in this publication to get rid of Java which I did some time ago have I violated something in the article I read it said Java was a risk also I lost my spell checker I was using Speckie but I notice as I write this there is a spell checker working that I never saw before when I communicated on this forum but I have sent e mails before I wrote this and after i.e. 10 and had no spell checker. I have read that there is a spell checker that comes with i.e. 10 but you have to activate it which it said to open Internet Explorer and go to tools and check the box obviously either something was left out or I don't understand is that in accessories I cant remember now where else I looked. thanks ahead of time
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    This will help you enable or disable the spell checker: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-03)

Thanks
    My IE 10 and now IE 11 spell checker was activated as soon as I installed or updated to the later browser. Give a try by intentionally miss-spelling a word. You should see a red underline on the miss-spelled word. Right click on the word and spelling suggestions will be shown.

SpellCheckerIE.jpg

Perhaps this was an option when setting up Win 8 and Win 8.1 originally, but I believe it was enabled by default as I did not enable it in my case. It was just there.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-12-02 at 06:56.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-03)

Thanks
    I'm running I.E. 11 on both Windows 7 and 8.1 and have no problems with either. I will agree with Clint that the security settings were a little over the top, but once set you should be ok. I haven't had any sites that don't play nice with 11, on Windows 7, but I am having an issue with my banking site on my Surface RT 8.1 in that the pop up keyboard blocks the input box of a security code that I need. BofA is looking into it though.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to t8ntlikly For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and ruirib thanks for you replies ruirib that tutorial you sent was perfect and did the trick. Was I right about Java is it still something to stay away from also I remember that there was an advisory article that you should disable the screen gadgets is that still important and why does Secunia still tell me that i.e. 10 is still not safe for browsing just like it did with 9? Either one of you use Hotmail as I do and got switched to Outlook and know how to get rid of the blank part of the page on the side I have been able to get rid of the ads but not gain the page back. Hopefully after these questions I wont have to bother you guys anymore. Thanks.
    Phil.
    Last edited by COWBOYPHIL; 2013-12-03 at 04:17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Phil,

Java is still a security risk, it's always being constantly patched. Whether you should remove it or not, it's more up to you. If you use Secunia, it will tell you when it needs updating.
    Some sites (although admittedly few these days), require Java. If you have one of those, you can still install Java and disable its use in your browsers, and then activate it just when you visit a site that needs Java.

I haven't run Secunia in a long time, but the I remember the warning about IE. If it is still similar, it must be a flaw that Microsoft regards as unimportant and Secunia as important. I don't like IE, and actually I like it less and less each time I need to compare it with Chrome or Firefox, so I confess I don't really care about the security flaw, as i hardly use it.

I am not sure about what you mean on Outlook.com. Maybe show a screen capture?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui thanks for the reply. Thanks again for the help with the spell check thing very much appreciated. I don't use Java and haven't for quite a while also it was just a question. I use Secunia because I don't know about anything else for that sort of thing you got suggestions? In regards to the Outlook.com page problem you make me laugh I don't have the first clue how to do a screen capture I am still laughing.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Phil,

Secunia is fine to make sure you have the latest version apps. There are alternatives, but Secunia works fine, IMO, I have just been slacking on that front.

To capture the screen, you can use a nifty Windows 7 native utility, the Snipping tool. Just click the start button, type snip and the top result will be the snipping tool. Open it and you can draw a rectangle with your mouse and everything within the rectangle will be copied. Once you do it, the app will show you what you have captured and allow you to save it -> File Save. You can then upload it here.

Here is my Outlook.com. Were you talking about the gray area?

Capture.JPG

If you have blocked the ads, I fear you won't be able to get rid of the area. This is a free service, so it's natural for Microsoft to try and make money with the ads. There are paid Outlook.com accounts and those are ad-free.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,
    That's interesting I never knew that its amazing what I learn from you. Yes that is exactly what I was referring to the space on the right and personally I would rather have it blank than with the Ads.. From what I understand you can pay like $20.00 a year to get an account that is ad free I just thought that with all the stuff you know I figured you might know something else about a way around it. What does IMO mean? Thanks very much for your time and expertise very much appreciated.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am glad I can be of help.

IMO means In My Opinion (there are other common variants - IMHO, In My Humble Opinion, IMVHO, etc.).

Outlook.com is a web app, which means you don't have that much control over what it shows, unless you target it very specifically with code to change what it displays and how it is displayed. Removing ads is a generic task, common to many websites, so ad blocking can tackle the problem in a generic way that will work for many websites.
    I confess I don't remove ads. Most places I go don't use them in annoying ways and although we have come to love free, nothing is really free, so I understand that especially those that offer free services, often need to get paid in other ways. Everybody needs to make a living.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for the response. With all the stuff I don't know I thought IMO might be some program like Secunia that's why I had to ask. I personally hate Ads I even use the mute on my TV for them. You don't need to respond but I got to say thanks for everything again.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, Phil, glad to be of help.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Phil, I found Secunia was pretty good for security apps, but I generally like Update Checker from FileHippo.com. See the link for the Update Checker in the upper right corner of the web page.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2013-12-06),COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-03)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast