Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Here is a full list of alternatives to Secunia: http://alternativeto.net/software/pe...inspector-psi/

Seems the one from FileHippo is quite popular, but I have also read good things on Ninite Updater, which is a paid app, though. I am pretty sure I have seen it mentioned in Windows Secrets. Fred Langa also covered the subject in a newsletter: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ther-software/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks I use that also I just wondered what else there might be? Just for your information the spell check was there in ie10 in w7 but it had to be activated Rui was good enough to send me a tutorial that explained it nicely. What about scans for Virus and Malware? I use MSE and there Safety scanner and Malware scanner even though I know some people don't like MSE and free Malware-Bytes what else is there along those lines? You got any other tips?
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,
    Thanks above and beyond the call of duty.
    Phil.

Thanks
    I use AVG AV 2014 Pro, but the free version is quite good. Just a few less features. I also use Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro, which gives me the advantage of running AVG and Malwarebytes both in real time (running continuously) Malwarebytes plays well with most AV/AM apps. I used MSE (WD in Win 8) for quite some time and had good luck with it as well. I switched to AVG because I received an offer for 3 licenses with a mail in rebate that made it free. I use 2 licenses on Mine and my Wife's PCs, and the 3rd license on my smart phone. Her smartphone has the free version. Unfortunately this deal is not available any more. I believe it originally came from Newegg. If you do a search you might find it a little less expensive although it's not terribly expensive any way.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Ted,
    Thanks I use that also I just wondered what else there might be? Just for your information the spell check was there in ie10 in w7 but it had to be activated Rui was good enough to send me a tutorial that explained it nicely. What about scans for Virus and Malware? I use MSE and there Safety scanner and Malware scanner even though I know some people don't like MSE and free Malware-Bytes what else is there along those lines? You got any other tips?
    Phil.
    Phil:

I use Trend Micro for antivirus/malware protection. I am very pleased with it, both from an effectiveness standpoint and that there is no noticeable slowdown when it is running. And it is very highly rated by the computer magazines. However, it is about $50 per year for up to three computers.

If you don't want to pay, then I recommend Avast. The only problem with Avast is that you have to manually update it on a regular basis; the free version doesn't include that feature. But I'm guessing that if you knew how, you could probably set it up to auto update via the Windows Task Scheduler.

And as others have said, use common sense when you're surfing the web.

Jim

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks for that info I will be back at you with a question or two as soon as I can.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim,
    Thanks for that also.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Phil,

This may be of interest to your question on AVs: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ent-protection
    Rui
    -------
    R4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Advise that you click on "help" and tell it not to update automatically to IE 11 if that is your choice!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I now use IE11 on all systems (3 win7, 3 win 8.1) and, for the most part it works. I've found that I have to use the Compatibility settings for several web pages (got rid of the '_exe' problem that way). I've not noted many differences between it and IE10 but believe the MS hype that it's more secure. The only website I continue to have problems with is the Verizon Wireless site - cannot log on to my account at all, URL flips and flips then closes tab. I use FireFox to go to websites I need that don't play well with IE.

New Lounger
    1586 Tallavana Trail, Havana, FL 32333-5691
    Thanks
    IE11 did the same with my banking. After beating on the keyboard for an hour I finally stumbled on the solution. When I opened the home page for IE11, I clicked on "page" (setup?) and associated my bank home page (Added to the list). Banking now works as it should. I use two different computers with my laptop running Win7 Pro, 32bit and my desktop runs Win7 Home Premium, 64bit.

My Facebook account will not run correctly on my desktop, it says that I am running IE8! One step at a time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richard729 View Post
    My Facebook account will not run correctly on my desktop, it says that I am running IE8! One step at a time.
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge.

See if the discussion here helps (start at post#10): http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-version-of-IE
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,
    You sure got that right all my questions and many I would never even think of. Thanks for the notice of the conversation I will be back to you and Ted as soon as I can got a kids Birthday to take care of.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Always glad to be of help, Phil .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-12-05)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,
    Glad you caught me. You and Ted have always been very kind and considerate with you time and knowledge and it is much appreciated now as soon as I get time to read all that stuff I will be back at you.
    Thanks,
    Phil.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast