Thanks

Will Macrium Reflect adjust to new drive of different size?

I have a new HP Pavilion g7 laptop, successfully updated to Win 8.1.

I have successfully made the Macrium Reflect WinPE recovery CD and a fresh image and tested them both - good so far.

I want to replace my spinning HD with a SSD that is smaller capacity, but is sufficient for my needs.
    My spinning HD is only using about 90GB, so that should leave me adequate free space on the 240GB SSD.

I also have a new external USB to Sata docking station that I would like to try out.

My two questions:

1. Is Macrium Reflect able to intelligently adjust partition sizes to Clone to the smaller SSD drive
    in the dock, or will I have to do a restore from my Image?

(A few months ago, I successfully cloned HD to SSD in an external case on my older Compaq Lappy, but drives were
    both the same size so it was a no-brainer and it perked it up quite nicely. That system will go to Mom for Christmas.)

If cloning to different size drive is a no-go...
    2. Does anyone know if the HP Pavilion g7 is able to write USB to USB so that I can restore an image from
    an external HD in one USB port to the SSD in the USB docking station in another port; or will I have to
    install the bare SSD into the Lappy and restore my image in the usual manner?
    Last edited by lostwages; 2013-12-03 at 12:04.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Rich,

I don't know about the options for cloning but I did restore the image I took of my 1 TB HDD to a 128Gb SDD by using the features in Macrium to resize the OS partition (C down to fit on the SSD. It was very easy. I first copied/restored all the other partitions then sized the C: to fit in the remaining space. Here's what it looks like now.
    DiskMgmt.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks R_G,

I know you can clone to a larger drive and it just leaves unallocated space on the larger drive.

This will be my first experience with a GPT formatted drive.
    I made my Macrium image of the full drive with all partitions checked.
    I'll try a restore to the new SSD drive connected to USB with the dock and let ya know how it goes.

Just curious...
    Macrium shows 5 partitions but Windoze disk management only shows 4; do you have any idea what's up with that?

Update:

Well, my new Vantec NexStar USB3-Sata docking station is a D.O.A. A wasted pre-black Friday deal from Newegg.
    The power light comes on but the laptop refuses to recognise the SSD (Intel 530 series, 240GB) plugged into it.

Dug out my trusty old CMS products USB2 external 2.5" case and installed the SSD into it and BINGO - the lappy sees it.

Macrium would not clone or image restore to it, reported insufficient space in both scenarios.
    So I used Partition Wizard to shrink the C: partition down to 210GB -
    the other partitions are 400MB, 260MB, 128MB and 349MB, with 487.5GB unallocated space.

Re-imaged, making sure to check medium (recommended) compression and intelligent sector copy.
    Still NO-GO on either a clone or an image restore and I have "Replace with the Master Boot Record
    from the backup (recommended)" checked. Macrium still coughs up a furball on insufficient space.
    Tried it with the SSD completely blank, formatted as one large NTFS partition, and again with partitions
    sized identically to the Lappy's hard drive - with the same results and I don't see any other options in settings.

Note: I'm using the free edition of Macrium; do I need to purchase the Pro Version?
    Last edited by lostwages; 2013-12-03 at 12:06.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Thanks
    Rich,

As I said you need to restore all the partitions with the exception of the C: partition to an empty SSD.
    Then Select only the C: partiton. {see red outline}
    MRCopySelected.JPG
    Now you click on Copy selected partitions. {highlighted in yellow above.}
    This brings up the options that allow you to resize the partition.
    MRChangeSize.JPG

BTW: I am using the Pro Version so you'll have to see if the Free version has this but I'm sure it does.
    HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

lostwages (2013-12-04)

Thanks

Thumbs up Problem Solved

SUCCESS!!!

Purchased Macrium Reflect PRO.

Had one minor glitch... the 349MB partition was at the end of the drive after the unallocated space.
    Had to use Partition Wizard to move it ahead of the unallocated space. Once all the unallocated
    space was located at the end of the drive, cloning proceeded without further incidents.

Swapped the HDD with the SSD and booted normally.

WOW; this thing now runs like a scalded dog!

Many thanks to R_G and many others who responded to BrooksNYC's thread;
    probably could have saved me some time and grief if I had read that one first.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2013-12-04 at 10:28. Reason: spelling - phat phingers... LOL
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Thanks
    Rich,

Glad you got it sorted!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs