New Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium to backup Asus laptop with Windows 8

Hi all,

New member here. I would like to create an image of my Asus laptop that was purchased with Windows 8 on it last week. I would like to use Macrium Reflect to do so. I understand the basics on how to make the backup and will do so after I install all the Windows updates and remove the programs I don't need to make it as clean as possible.

Asus split my 1TB HDD into a C (OS) and D (Data) drives. There is also a hidden recovery partition. What I need help with is the following:

1. Which drives do I need to create an image for?

2. I'd like to be able to restore this image if I should become infected with a virus etc...and I am not sure what type of media I will need to get the initial
    boot to be able to restore the image from the external HDD.

3. Can I restore this image to a new SSD instead of the HDD if I upgrade in the future?

4. Can I store other files on the same external HDD drive that has the image on it such as some pictures and music, my steam game library etc?

Thanks for all the input.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

1. For the 1st image, I would image all the partitions. This means you will keep a good image of your computer in its original state, meaning you will be able to restore it to that condition.

2. You can create a boot CD. You can also create a boot flash. Booting from either of them may require you to change configuration in your BIOS, to allow booting from the chosen media. With Windows 8, it is also possible that you need to disable Secure boot.

3. In principle, you will be able to do that.

4. Yes, you can.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a bunch, I should be good to go now. I'll have to look for the secure boot option in the BIOS as I didn't see it when I was in the there before.

Thanks
    Rob,

Welcome to the Lounge!

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    With Windows 8, it is also possible that you need to disable Secure boot.
    In my experience with UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot (limited to my 1 Dell XPS 8700) and Macrium Reflect this should not be necessary. When you create your Boot media there is an item to check for this situation (Macrium should check it automatically, but you can do it manually if for some reason it doesn't detect it).
    MacriumUEFI.JPG
    When upgrading from Win 8.0 to 8.1 I restored my 8.0 image 3-4 times w/o having to disable anything. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Rob,

Welcome to the Lounge!

In my experience with UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot (limited to my 1 Dell XPS 8700) and Macrium Reflect this should not be necessary. When you create your Boot media there is an item to check for this situation (Macrium should check it automatically, but you can do it manually if for some reason it doesn't detect it).
    MacriumUEFI.JPG
    When upgrading from Win 8.0 to 8.1 I restored my 8.0 image 3-4 times w/o having to disable anything. YMMV.
    Thanks for sharing your experience on that specific issue .
    I was just being cautious, as I didn't know whether it was needed or not (I don't use Macrium Reflect). I prefer to err on the side of caution at (almost) all times.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate the help. I'll report back with my results once I get going in a few days.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Backup went great and I also created my recovery media. Hopefully it will all go smoothly if I need to restore with it. Thanks all for the help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you have a good backup now . Don't forget to keep imaging regularly and backup your files independently and regularly, as well .
    Rui
    -------
    R4