2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore Image from disaster

So bear with me, I can be easily confused. I just filed for social security lol. Anyway, I've gone thru the threads in this section on how to restore from a system image. My question is this. Lets say I get a bad virus or rootkit, something, and have to do a complete re-install. Is there any tutorial on how to do a system image restore from the very beginning. I'm going on the thought that I don't have access to my computer other than to just wipe the drive. Or another one would be that I only have partial access. That I can boot the computer but it is dire straights. Do I use a rescue disc to get the basic operation going, then install Macruim Free that I used for the system image, and then use it to restore. Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Hi,

When you create a boot disc with the imaging app, the disc will "have" an environment of its own, that not only allows you to boot from such disk, but it will also start the imaging app, allowing you to use it to restore from one of your images. So the advice is to create a boot disk with your imaging app and use that disk when you need to do such a "bare metal" restore.
    The OS rescue disk is of no use, when your images were created with a 3rd party imaging app.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    For Acronis True Image 2013 (and I assume 2014), assuming you have already created an Acronis Boot disc:

Insert the media the Image is stored on, I use an Ext HD.

Insert the Acronis Boot CD (Yes it fits on a CD)

When the first screen loads, choose Boot to Acronis.

When the app finally loads, Choose Restore, Full Partition (may say something like complete disk or partition)

You will be asked to choose an Image to restore from, choose the media where your image is stored and the correct Image you wish to restore. This is why it's important to name the Images and Add Date to the Image.

You will then be asked where to Restore the Image to. Choose the partition or disk where the bad OS was residing. For a single partition there is not choice, but if you have multiple partitions it is important to point to the correct partition. Again this is why it is important to name your partitions so you can choose the correct one.

You then select Apply, or Start or something like that.

It really is that simple. I have followed this routine numerous times (I often fudge up my PC while trying different things)

I suspect Macrium Reflect is similarly easy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you, sorry I'm late in responding but was out of town for bird day. I'm still now clear on a couple of things. When I create the boot disc can it be created on an external harddrive alongside a separate image file?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is an advanced method for putting the recovery boot files on the same drive as the images but for starters you would use the installed imaging software to create a recovery image file that can be written either to a CD or a USB thumb drive...whichever you feel comfortable using to boot your system with. There's even two different types of recovery boot discs you can make (one with advanced options and one with just the basics) but one thing at a time eh?

Here's the tutorial on creating a EaseUS emergency boot disc. Macrium is probably very similar, start with the Linux version, and move on to making the more advanced PE version if needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    RetiredGeek posted a method to create a bootable external drive, that includes the images, for Macrium Reflect Free. You can read about it here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...49416-Epiphany

Anyway, it's probably easier to create your own boot discs, using CDs or flash drives.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Since these boot disks will easily fit on a CD, that's where I put them. If your PC does not have a DVD Drive (tablets don't I believe) then creating the boot disk on a flash drive would be the preferred method from my standpoint.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I usually create mine on a USB thumb drive. I recommend at least Two separate media forms with at least one
    on either USB or CD/DVD.
    RG's Epiphany thread is good, it relates specifically to Macrium.
    There is also a link under my name in that thread that points to the creation of the Macrium Linux & PE boot disks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great advice from everyone, thanks so much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    So bear with me, I can be easily confused. I just filed for social security lol. Anyway, I've gone thru the threads in this section on how to restore from a system image. My question is this. Lets say I get a bad virus or rootkit, something, and have to do a complete re-install. Is there any tutorial on how to do a system image restore from the very beginning. I'm going on the thought that I don't have access to my computer other than to just wipe the drive. Or another one would be that I only have partial access. That I can boot the computer but it is dire straights. Do I use a rescue disc to get the basic operation going, then install Macruim Free that I used for the system image, and then use it to restore. Thanks
    When you say "from the very beginning", I assume you mean that you want to restore an old image, perhaps restoring the computer to it's "off the shelf" original image. If that's what you want to do, you'll either need to have made an image at that time, or you'll need to run the factory restore CD/DVD which came with the computer.

However, it should be sufficient if you merely restore the most recent good image.