Thanks

IE11 in Win7: Full-Screen Toolbar Auto-Hide & Auto-Reveal fails

November 28, 2013

In IE11’s Full-Screen-Mode, the IE Toolbar Auto-Hide and Auto-Reveal functions do not operate for me as in IE10.

When in IE10 and IE11 full-screen-mode, only the Web page is shown. The navigation (address) bar, menu and all other toolbars are hidden. In IE10 the toolbars became visible (slide down) by moving the cursor to the top of the page and Auto-Hide occurred after a short pause when the cursor was moved down, away from the top.

But now with IE11 Auto-Hide is unpredictable; slow or seemingly never to occur. Auto-Reveal no longer operated by "cursor to the top". Auto-Reveal work-around takes separate “right-clicking” sequences for me. This defect cluster makes IE11, for me, sufficiently unusable to revert to IE10.

Auto-Hide and Auto-Reveal worked as expected with IE10; failed as described above after install of IE11; and then worked again after uninstall of IE11 returning to IE10. Probably not mouse driver related.

Any suggestions?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Win7 SP 1 Home Premium 32bit (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)
    Have check mark next to "Auto Hide".
    Display->Screen Resolution = Resolution = 1280 x 768 x 74 hertz
    Display-> Make it easier … = ʘ Smaller – 100% (default)
    Gear -> Zoom = 125%
    Bits/Pixel 32
    Last edited by CWH803; 2013-11-29 at 00:21.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    My auto hide of the top Taskbar works fine when I move the cursor to the top of the screen. The bottom Toolbar however does not come up. This is fine since I do not normally use Full Screen anyway. Your problem may be caused by whatever mouse or touch pad device you are using. Mine works fine every time. I'm using it right now. Perhaps a check of the drivers for your mouse/touchpad device will help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Now we just have to remember the shortcuts, not easy to do when your mind is getting like a rusty steel trap, LOL.

It appears the Full Screen version is much more like the Metro version, even when used on the Desktop as I do. Not having access to my bottom Taskbar is kind of a PITA when I'm browsing, and with larger laptop screens, I do not see the advantage. Now if I were using a smaller tablet, then I can see the advantage.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    CWH: having the same problem, probably will go back to IE 10 if no solution.. CM

New Lounger
    Thanks
    seems IE 11 is for Win 8, going back to IE10,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarsh164 View Post
    seems IE 11 is for Win 8, going back to IE10,
    IE 11 is also for Windows 7, but seems the 7 version is a little less stable, at least for some of our members.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    rui: went back to IE10, works fine. I have win 8.1 on another computer, not sure if IE11 or not. probably is.. Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarsh164 View Post
    rui: went back to IE10, works fine. I have win 8.1 on another computer, not sure if IE11 or not. probably is.. Thanks
    Yes, I understand. I have disabled the upgrade to IE 11 in Windows Update, on my Windows 7 desktop, too.
    8.1 includes IE 11, so yours has IE 11 too. Can't complain about stability there, but then I don't use it much, other than to test a few sites as I develop them. I prefer to use Chrome as my default browser.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    IE 11 works fine in Win 8.1 for all but a couple of forums I frequent. I suspect these are because of the forum software. I suspect eventually this software will be updated to allow IE 11 to function properly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    December 14, 2013

Good news.

MS IE Team can reproduce this defect and is investigating it according to post (shown below) in “Auto-hide function not functional in full screen mode (IE11 for Windows 7)” under the Internet Explorer Feedback (IE) Home section of Microsoft Connect.

Posted by Microsoft on 12/10/2013 at 12:21 PM
    Thank you for your feedback.
    We were able to reproduce the issue and are investigating it.
    Best regards,
    The Internet Explorer Team

See also thread “In full screen mode, toolbar doesn't unhide when cursor is moved to the top of the screen”, which does not include the important string “IE 11” in title so usual searches for this defect do not include it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have this problem and in fact I prefer to lock the address bar or cancel the auto-hide function in full screen mode for all the time. I search it for days and finally make it this morning as below:
    1. Open IE11 in full screen model
    2. press" alt" and "space" key at same time, you will see a menu list show up on the left
    3. un-select the "auto-hide" option (above the "close")
    4. now only the address bar show in the full screen mode and locked.
    Last edited by Ming Lei; 2014-02-28 at 21:21.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ming Lei For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2014-03-01),scaisson (2014-03-01)