Thread: Videos stall

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Videos stall

I run Firefox 25.0.1 (kept updated) under Windows 8.1. I have the latest and greatest router, TP-Link AC1750, set up with the defaults as supplied on the mini-CD that came with it. My broadband service is cable modem, with no problems. I have plenty of RAM (16Gb).

Videos (such as YouTube) almost always stall, mostly after about 30 seconds, but sometimes after as long as 20 minutes.

I have turned OFF Hardware Acceleration, which I know causes problems, but the stalling continues.

When I stop a video, the system does not continue to load it (extending the progress bar).

The problem continues, though not quite as bad, when I bypass the router and connect my computer directly to the cable modem.

The problem is the same even when I go to the lowest available video resolution.

I assume some buffer is getting filled or that I need to set either FireFox or the router to take bigger gulps of data, but have no idea about how to do this.

Oh, and this also happens using Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16438. That suggests to me that the problem is a setting in the Windows, or even in the hardware.

Thanks for any guidance.

Thanks
    There might also be usage factors involved here, like many others attempting to access the same video, as well.
    Servers on which content is stored are not equal in terms of their own bandwidth and usage stats.
    There'll always be some degree of variability.

These "stalls" are not uncommon, even with/on great bandwidth connections.
    I experience them all the time, they usually last in the seconds time frame range.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CLiNT -

My stalls happen on every video and never resolve. Perhaps I should have said "hang" or even "crash."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    So the videos always stall, regardless of their duration, even short videos?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui - Yes. Any video longer than about 10 seconds hangs at around 10 seconds.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That's very weird. I guess that it may be related to flash, so let's do a test.

http://www.w3.org/2010/05/video/mediaevents.html

Can you play this video without issues?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

krsmav (2013-11-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The video plays fine. However, I'm trying to listen to a concert at http://www.concertgebouw.nl/live and it stalls every couple of minutes for "buffering," eventually stopping completely with an endless Buffering notice. YouTube videos continue to stall after 1-2 minutes with no buffering notice.

Can I enlarge the buffer?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am not sure you can do that in any effective way, but here is some advice that may help: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7733702_st...buffering.html

That video that I posted is a HTML5 video. The other videos you are having problems I wonder of they use Flash. You can right click any of those videos, choose Settings (it will be offered as an option if it's a Flash video) and then try increasing the size of local storage that can be used (look for the small folder icon at the bottom). Not sure this will solve your problem, though.
    If it works, you can also try and change Global Settings, which will allow you to set similar settings for all sites using Flash. This will lead you to the Adobe site, that will interact with your browser to do this.

HTH
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an astonishingly common problem, just Google it. The problem is pretty clearly living in the YouTube player domain. Having read many hundreds of posts, in a dozen locations, I have seen many "sure" fixes that prove to be idiosyncratic to the reporting "fixer" when tried by the larger community. Thousands of people are having this sticking problem, but it unfortunately now takes millions of people having a problem before the Google Behemoth notices. It shows up in Chrome, Internet Exploiter, Firefox, and Safari, but it still escapes Google's notice. I have long since given up on Google ever addressing this problem. My son is a professional programmer with an IBM Thinkpad and top end Comcast internet data. I have crappy US Worst DSL, and consumer level H-P hardware. Our YouTube video experiences are identical. It is absolutely clear that the problem originates with YouTube (Google), and not us users. Unfortunately, Google just don't care.

A single, certain, trigger is data quality. My son reported that switching from Wi-Fi to CAT5 cable data dropped the frequency of "sticking" by nearly an order of magnitude. I tried it and had exactly the same experience. The only workaround that is universally effective is to address playback sticking with the cursor left arrow key. This instructs the player to jump back five seconds and re-play. Unfortunately, this "fix" only works about one third of the time. Frequently, playback will again cease at exactly the same point that it stuck before (the player simply ceasing to download more data). Sometimes, trying another left arrow replay will work the second or third time you try it. Sometimes, the only thing you can do is just give up watching YouTube, and do something else with your computer. Google just don't care.

IF I want to see a YouTube video badly enough, the only COMPLETELY EFFECTIVE workaround is to use the (free) YouTube Downloader app to download the vid to be viewed locally (I use the VLC player for best .FLV playback). Interestingly enough, YT Downloader NEVER sticks. The playback problem definitely lives in the YouTube Player code. If you are willing to go through this time-wasting hassle, you will find that it is possible to view ANY YouTube video in its entirety. I just start downloading (up to a maximum of three) videos on YT Downloader, and go do something else for a while. My use of YouTube has dropped about 75% because of this awkward workaround hassle. ANYONE who can successfully alert Google to THEIR problem will earn the gratitude of thousands of would-be YouTube users. However, don't hold your breath. This problem has been around for over a year. And Google just don't care.

Maybe I am just not patient enough. I have never had the YouTube player fix its own problem, and restart playback by itself after sticking. The only true solution for the sticking problem is going to be Google assigning someone to find and fix its player bug(s). In the meanwhile, good luck to us all!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spafford View Post
    It shows up in Chrome, Internet Exploiter, Firefox, and Safari
    Just curious, have you actually been exploited by Internet Explorer? It is, after all, free software.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think I found a work-around to youtube stalling

I've been having this problem for months. I use Win7 and Firefox.

Now, when I get that annoying, frustrating stall at around the 15 second or 30 second mark, I leave the site and go back to youtube.com, "history," and play the video from there. This works most of the time. Occasionally, the video will play longer before stalling again (e.g., first time it stalled at 30 sec, then when playing through history, it stalls at 45 sec). I go through that step again (get totally out of the video, then go into history to replay it). It's inconvenient but really doesn't take much time to go through the extra step, and I feel like I have some control over the outcome, instead of being held hostage to who-knows-what glitch. I hope it works for others.

Quote Originally Posted by krsmav View Post
    I run Firefox 25.0.1 (kept updated) under Windows 8.1. I have the latest and greatest router, TP-Link AC1750, set up with the defaults as supplied on the mini-CD that came with it. My broadband service is cable modem, with no problems. I have plenty of RAM (16Gb).

Videos (such as YouTube) almost always stall, mostly after about 30 seconds, but sometimes after as long as 20 minutes.

I have turned OFF Hardware Acceleration, which I know causes problems, but the stalling continues.

When I stop a video, the system does not continue to load it (extending the progress bar).

The problem continues, though not quite as bad, when I bypass the router and connect my computer directly to the cable modem.

The problem is the same even when I go to the lowest available video resolution.

I assume some buffer is getting filled or that I need to set either FireFox or the router to take bigger gulps of data, but have no idea about how to do this.

Oh, and this also happens using Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16438. That suggests to me that the problem is a setting in the Windows, or even in the hardware.

Thanks for any guidance.