New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing Vista Premium on an originally Vista Home Basic laptop

Hello everybody,

While I would rather get a new laptop for my fiance, finances don't allow that at the moment. She has an older Dell latitude laptop, with Vista Home basic installed now. However, things are not good in Vista Home Basic land... long story short, while her son was getting treated for cancer (in remission, yay!) someone else was using the laptop and of course it's gotten FUBAR'd. It works, but very slowly, and some features seem to be gone (I think it was some old malware or virus a while back). I was wondering if I created a new partition on the hard drive (there's about 95GB of free space on the 150GB HD, and she's had this for at least 4 years). She doesn't do much with the laptop, mostly some internet stuff, iTunes, some word documents, so she doesn't need much from the laptop, but I'd like to try and keep it moving until we can get something new.

The biggest thing might be that the only Windows DVD we have is one from my laptop, which is a Home Premium (32bit) DVD. We can't find her original Windows DVD. And I can't find a Certificate of Authenticity on her laptop.

So I guess I need to know:
    1. Can I use the Home Premium DVD to install it in a new partition on her hard drive, and then just build that up with what she needs, using the other partition as storage (I know, not the best idea, but an external HD isn't in the budget right now either...) for her photos, etc.?

2. If I can install the Home Premium, is 95GB enough space to get that done? She's not going to need lots of space, especially if the first partition can be used to keep her files for now.

Hope this kind of makes sense. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions/etc.

Frank

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    So I guess I need to know:
    1. Can I use the Home Premium DVD to install it in a new partition on her hard drive, and then just build that up with what she needs, using the other partition as storage (I know, not the best idea, but an external HD isn't in the budget right now either...) for her photos, etc.?
    Yes, and if not, you can use any 3rd party partitioning tool to create the partition.
    But it's better to just copy the data you need off the current drive and start fresh with a newly formatted drive and partitions.

2. If I can install the Home Premium, is 95GB enough space to get that done? She's not going to need lots of space, especially if the first partition can be used to keep her files for now.
    Yes, 95GB is more than sufficient, you could probably even go a little lower if you need to..
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my system I have Vista Home Prem. I have 2GB Ram. 120GB HDD partitioned :
    49.1 GB in C: Os. >>
    8.5 Gb D: Bk. >>
    51.1 GB E: most apps and "stuff".
    I have two externals for other backups but the main works just fine. It does require some care to keep it rimmed down and organized. The important issue is to have fullhouse RAM. I bought the machine stripped down and Shopped for and installed RAM to the MAX.

O'pinion
    Last edited by philomel; 2013-12-07 at 11:43.

Thanks
    I would format the C Drive during the installation (after you choose a Custom Install, on the next screen choose Advanced Disk Options, then format). This will then give you unallocated space where the C Drive was. The installation will then continue on the C Drive, thus putting the OS in the front of the HD. This will then leave the remainder of the HD for the storage partition. I would definitely NOT leave the old OS with possible viruses or malware. Get rid of that junk right up front.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all,
    Is his laptop still functioning? If so, won't putting a copy of the OS on his fiance's computer be against licensing agreements? If he is not going to use his laptop again then I think it is OK but the OS will have to be re-registered for the installation on a different computer. Otherwise, I think it will run for a while and then quit. Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks
    To put a different version of Windows on the laptop in question, you will need to obtain an install key for that software. Since Home Premium is different than Basic, you won't be able to use the "Basic" key for the "Premium" install.

If you retire Vista Home Premium from the computer it is currently installed on, perhaps you can use that key to install it to this laptop. Or, you might want to get Windows 7, rather than staying with Vista. Windows 7 looks and feels like Vista, but it is more stable and has less bugs. You could probably get an upgrade price on Windows 7 home premium, then do a custom (i.e. clean) install, thereby wiping the hard drive clean before installing 7.

You didn't say how much memory the laptop has. 2 GB is sufficient, if that's what you currently have. 1 GB would probably work, but it's a bit slim for what you want to do. Memory is cheap, so bring it up to at least 2 GB.