4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot error message, need explanation

Recently, I noticed that my boot times are a bit longer than usual (as determined by using the Event Viewer). Checking the event log (Event Viewer, Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows,Diagnostics-Performance, Operational, then set filter to 100), I notice several warnings and errors (see attached screenshot). Double-clicking on the error labeled Critical provided additional information (also shown in the screenshot) that I'm having trouble understanding.
    I never used to get these messages, and I would like to correct the problems, but in order to understand the actual problem and solution, I need help from some of the experts that frequent this forum.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Use a tool such as [url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902[/url] or WhatInStartup to manage what is loaded when you boot the PC.

For Autoruns just pay attention to the Logon tab for now. If you aren't sure about one or more items post back.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for the reply.
    I already know what I've got loading at startup, and that hasn't changed in months. What has changed is the boot time and the warning and error messages, and this was just over the last week or so.
    I dug a little deeper into the error messages, and found a reference to the prefetch folder slowing down the boot (only I can't seem to navigate back to where I found that reference). But I did a little research, cleared the prefetch folder, and edited the registry so that the prefetch folder only caches the boot files, not the applications. This returned my boot times to where they used to be, with no more error messages (although I still get warnings when I look in the event viewer).
    There was a small (but noticeable) delay when loading applications with the registry change, so I changed it back so that the prefatch folder caches both boot files and applications. The boot times remain low, so I guess that I'll just periodically clear the prefetch folder if the boot time start to increase.
    After all this, I came across this app (http://blog.exile90software.com/2009...kprefetch.html) that simplifies the job of editing the registry prefetch settings - seems to work well.