Thread: Baby monitor

Lounger
    Thanks

Baby monitor

I am trying to help my daughter set up a webcam to monitor her infant during his nap. They have a wireless router for their computer, but both the router and computer are in another part of the house from the baby's bedroom. To make it more difficult, she would prefer to monitor the nap using a tablet. Is any of this feasible, and if so, can anyone give suggestions as to what is needed?

Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    I guess it really depends on what you want to do and whether the wireless networking signal is strong enough on the baby's bedroom. If it is, there are multiple wireless cameras (just check on amazon) that could do the job. All of those are accessible through a browser, so the baby could even be monitored on a tablet, without many issues and no need for any special app other than a regular browser.

If the wireless network signal is not strong enough, you could look at ways to boost it, like a getting a network extender or a router used as an access point or repeater.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could use sneakernet. ;-))

cheers, Paul