Thanks

OCZ files for bankruptcy

Bad business management?Judge for your self read the whole article;http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-could-be-lost
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    That's too bad, they were real innovators at one time.
    ...But a business that can't stay in business, has no business being in business.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't be sad for OCZ. They released SSDs again and again over several years which had buggy firmware. The failure rates were exceptionally high. Customers were buying what they were told was class-leading performance while in reality they were being used as guinea pigs and unwitting beta testers for half-baked software controllers (firmware). Later on they tried to right the ship with new Indilinx-based firmware. But they replaced hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of defective SSDs under warranty. Do a search online for "refurbished SSD" or similar and you'll see the marketplace is full of OCZ brand models at knockdown prices. Are they fixed? Are they worn out? Are they junk? Who cares? If you are an OCZ user and have a good experience with them then i'm happy for you. But first to market with a new fast model is no good if a bunch of your customers get stuck on the side of the road with a breakdown! i'm not sure there's any brand of SSD that hasn't needed an update at some point - even Intel, but by and large several major players like Intel, Crucial, Kingston, Sandisk and Samsung have produced reliable stuff over a period of years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2013-12-06)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Toshiba agreed to buy OCZ's assets, so the technology will live and be improved, I guess.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Toshiba agreed to buy OCZ's assets, so the technology will live and be improved, I guess.
    I don't know about that. Toshiba's of today aren't what they were just a few years ago. Just 5-6 years ago, Toshiba was a top rated brand, highly due to quality. Now one buys a Toshiba, the HDD failure rates are higher in the 1st couple of years of ownership (as evidenced on many tech forums), plus keyboard issues.

Toshiba isn't the brand that it once was. Yes the corporation markets more hardware, such as HDD's, SSD's & Flash drives, but they don't have the same ratings as the leading competition. I bought one of their 16GB Flash drives to use as a Windows 8 Recovery Drive, it's notably slower than most of my others.

Seems that Toshiba is falling into a Tier 2 brand, like Gateway & HGST.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hope they haven't fallen too far because we recently bought a Toshiba 2TB internal HDD. It's a retail boxed version with 3-year warranty! So far it's very quiet and shows good speed ... for a non-SSD

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    I have been buying Toshiba laptops since 2000 and I haven't regretted it yet. I am typing this from a u920t bought in August and I am happy with it. It has a Toshiba SSD, not a traditional magnetic disk, though, but I haven't had issues with the HDDs either (two 5 year old laptops running ok - well one has a year old SSD, but he HDD was working when it got replaced.).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Wished I could say my Toshiba was as good. I have the Satellite A665-S6086 (will add to my System Specs next time I visit the Lounge with it). HDD was failing not long after initial warranty period, fortunately I have a collection of various HDD's on hand & replaced it. Now it has a 128GB Crucial M4, dual booting Windows 7 Pro/8.1 Pro, plus Linux Mint is on the main HDD (SSD is mounted in optical bay adapter).

Now it's the keyboard. The Backspace key works when it wants to regardless of OS, same with the "P" key. Have reverted to a wireless keyboard, as on Toshiba's, they're not easily replaceable, like the older Dells are. Otherwise it runs good, it's just a matter of "What's Next?".

As to the OCZ transaction, I have mixed feelings. Toshiba already markets it's own brand of SSD's, if word gets out about this, many customers will likely shy away from the brand, as even if Toshiba does a total house cleaning of employees (they likely won't), the stigma of being associated with the OCZ brand could be damaging. It's highly possible that Toshiba will never market the brand, but rather use it's facilities for expansion.

OCZ was once a promising brand of SSD's around the time of the Windows 7 launch with dominating sales. Bad firmware was their downfall, in part due to the massive number of them on the market, other brands also suffered controller issues. It's no wonder there's so many refurbished units at ultra low pricing on the market, however one thing that I won't buy used or refurbished (still used) is SSD's.

Still, I give OCZ credit for what they did successfully accomplish. By saturating the market with their SSD's, in essence the competition was forced to lower their pricing to compete. Which is why today, most customers has access to affordable SSD's. There was also help by the HDD OEM's 2011 "shortage" that really was non-existent (there were plenty available, but at high cost). This also compelled SSD OEM's to lower prices, leading to millions of consumers adapting to SSD's & many, including myself, have never looked back. Except on two older computers, the only spinners I have are for Data/secondary drives.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Recently, a friend asked if i could do something to keep his creaky old pc going for another year or two. It's a single-core P4 2.66GHz cpu and 1GB of RAM. After taking it outdoors and blowing out a ton of dust i reseated the cpu chip with fresh thermal paste. The original hard drive with Windows XP on it is a 60GB Maxtor which makes grumpy noises and has a peak speed (on HDTune benchmark) of around 34MB/sec. The second hard drive is only about 8 years old and is labeled Toshiba. It's twice as fast and runs very quietly. Both drives are PATA and there are no SATA connectors on the motherboard. Using a PATA-to-SATA adapter i installed a Kingston 64GB SSD which we no longer needed at home because we replaced it with a larger capacity model. After a fresh install of Windows XP the system is humming along nicely. At my suggestion a simple external drive has been added to make backups of everything, but i bet you that Toshiba will keep on ticking for years to come .... no ticks, no clicks, no glitches!

Thanks
    Without getting on the RA! RA! bandwagon for any one brand, just let me say.....

Over the past 33 years, that I've been building and/or just operating PC's there have been many drive manufacturers that have either disappeared all together, or have been absorbed into larger and more mainstream companies.

Here is just a brief excerpt from Wikipedia on that subject.

It has been estimated that over 200 companies were hard disk drive manufacturers at one time or another. Besides competing on features such as hard disk (HDD) data density and latencies, many of those companies started to support new, smaller form factors that enabled the ever-reducing physical sizes of computing devices. Most of that industry has vanished through bankruptcy and acquisition. Surviving manufacturers are Seagate, Toshiba and Western Digital.

The following is a list of known defunct HDD manufacturers:

Alps Electric – left industry
    Amcodyne[1]
    Ampex[1]
    Apple, Inc. – produced the proprietary Lisa 20MB Widget drive in house in 1984 for less than two years before leaving the hard drive business.
    Atasi Corp. – bankrupt
    Areal Technology[1] – acquired by Tomen Corp in 1993 [2]
    Aura Associates[1]
    BASF[1]
    Bryant Computer Products[1]
    Further down the list is "Imprimis", "Epson" and "Kalok[1] – bankrupt in 1994"
    Two of My personal favorites were "Quantum" and "Maxtor"- bought by Seagate.
    I still have working drives from both of those companies.

I once had a Quantum drive, destroyed by lightning. I sent it in to the Quantum repair center, here in FL at the time, and they sent me a brand new drive. Not a refurb, but a NEW one! That hardly ever happens. I sent in a WD drive on a warranty exchange and they sent me a refurb that was worse than the first one. It ran for less than a month and then failed. I've not bought a WD drive since then. Today I go with either a Seagate or Samsung drive. Experience can be a tough teacher! Eh?

Happy Holidays Mates,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Too bad about the WD. Guess you'll have to settle for a Quantum of Solace?

Thanks
    I believe that WD has also acquired Hitachi, as they're now marketed as the HGST brand. Basically a generic WD. My luck with WD has been good, except for a 750GB Caviar Black that was beginning to fail (noisy/vibration) after 5-6 months of use. I believe it had to do with what was then Newegg's sloppy packaging of HDD's, which has since improved greatly. Like DrWho, I was sent what I thought to be a new 1TB as a replacement.

Figured a larger capacity HDD was sent for my troubles. Only months afterwards & I still can't recall what compelled me to examine the label, but needed a magnifying glass to read the "recertified" wording on it. However I have no gripes, it ran well in a PC for a year & is now one of my backup drives.

However I still have a 40GB, 7200 rpm Hitachi HDD, going strong after 10 years of a lot of use, as well as another newer one in a IBM T42 notebook.

Never had good luck with the Maxtor brand, nor Seagate. The 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 that died on me w/no notice, is now used to sit candles on to burn. There are thousands of forum posts in regards to that model, considered by many to be a high performance model in 2008/2009 with it's 32MB cache, still more than that of most notebook HDD's. Fortunately, I had backed it up 2-3 days prior to the failure (I backup weekly), so except for a few bookmarks, I lost nothing (except $60).

A HDD/SSD loss I can deal with, so long as I keep recent backups. That's about the only thing we can do to minimize the loss that end, we can't prevent drives from failing, but we can protect our data. While I know that many thousands of customers lost their data on those 7200.11 HDD's & many were screaming for Seagate for data recovery, the responsibility to backup is the customer's duty. My guess is that those users needs no more reminders of this.

As to OCZ, I almost bought one, but just before I had saved enough cash for purchase, reviews at Newegg began to pour in over their dying SSD's. That led me to wait another year before purchasing my 1st one, a 128GB Crucial M4, which has performed well on all 3 computers it's been installed on. SSD Life Free reports it as having 99% of life left, with an approximate date of sometime in 2022 as end of life date with current usage pattern.

Glad that I didn't become another victim to OCZ.

Cat
    My System Specs: