New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Query re External USB 3.0 drive

I currently use an external WD USB 3.0 drive as the storage device for my Acronis system images.
    Given the current problems with malware like CryptoLocker and such, should I disconnect or disable the drive to prevent its contents from being attacked (thereby rendering my images useless!) when not using the contents of the drive? I have some other data on the drive that I use infrequently.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I switch my external drives off when I am not using them. Always did, saves energy and keeping them turned on doesn't really make sense as I use them mostly once a week to create the images.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Madness7 (2013-11-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I keep my external drives powered off when not in use also. It's also best to have 2 drives for those images in case of a problem on one. I partition my HD with system on one partition and image that on at 2 drives and keep a few of those images on mutiple drives.
    Joe

Thanks
    I just disconnect all external drives when not in use. Some systems have problems booting properly if ext. drives are plugged in (I believe those that power on when plugged in).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That's true, on some computers that are set up to boot from an external (USB) drive.
    Removing that boot option, in the BIOS, will prevent the bios from trying to boot from an attached USB drive.

That is totally circumvented on my desktop PC, because my external USB drives are all USB3 and connected to a PCI, USB3, plug-in card.
    They are not even seen, till Windows loads the USB3 Card drivers.
    However, when Windows boots, it checks the directories of every drive attached to the system, so, having multiple drives attached, does somewhat slow down boot-ups.

I use those (2) drives for data file backups, but should I want to use them for a Ghost backup, I would have to plug them (at least one) into a USB2 port on the motherboard, so it's seen by the BIOS. If the BIOS sees it, then Ghost (DOS Version 11.5) will see it.
    I don't do that often, because I find USB2 agonizingly slow, for a whole-partition backup.

I look forward to my next computer, with a motherboard that has both USB3 and SATA III ports available. All it takes is one Lotto Win, and I'll be there.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I look forward to my next computer, with a motherboard that has both USB3 and SATA III ports available. All it takes is one Lotto Win, and I'll be there.:
    Dr.,

If that's what you're waiting for you should be condisering USB1000000 and SATA1000000 at least! ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Smart Alec!

But going back to the OP's original post.....

USB 3 drives are great, really FAST, but.....only when plugged into a USB3 port.

On any other port, they are just another USB drive.

I've seen some fabulous deals on USB 2.0 Flash Drives lately, but I won't waste my money.
    That's old school, old news and last weeks newspaper.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-12-01 at 12:32.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!