New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Update from IE10 to IE11 fails

I am running Win 7 Ultimate, SP1. All Windows updates have been installed...except for the optional Internet Explorer 11 update. I am currently running IE10.

• A week ago, I tried to install the IE11 update; it failed to install with Code 9C48,and DT000. I could not find any helpful information about these codes. ["WindowsUpdate_00009C48" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"] is the header for the error report.

• After trying the IE11 update, Windows update began reporting that I could update to IE10 (which is already installed and running! So, I tried to run the IE10 update, thinking it might fix the problem with updating IE11. No joy. I got the same errors with the IE10 update attempt.

• I ran sfc /scannow...no improvement.

• I ran the Microsoft FixIt for Windows Update...no improvement.

I am out of ideas, but concerned about the assumed higher security that IE11 would offer. Anyone have a suggestion for fixing this?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Econdoc, Welcome to the Lounge. How is snowy Rochester? We recently migrated from Rochester to Florida for the winter. Sold our home and moved into a Motor Coach. We see on the weather news that Rochester is leading the way for snow this year so far in NY. Hooray! Glad we left!

More than higher security, IE 11 offers conformity to universal standards. It however does not work so well with Win 7. Many Win 7 users are having the installation problems. I would hold off on IE 11 for now until and if MS is able to fix the installation issues. IE 10 is quite good on Win 7 whereas IE 11 sometimes is somewhat buggy on Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much about being unable to upgrade, right now. You can still try to download IE directly and see if that works or at least if it would give you a more verbose error message.

Download IE 11 from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...wide-languages
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about being unable to upgrade, right now. You can still try to download IE directly and see if that works or at least if it would give you a more verbose error message.

Download IE 11 from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...wide-languages
    I downloaaded & installed 11 It's working fine on my win7 home preminum

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzee View Post
    I downloaaded & installed 11 It's working fine on my win7 home preminum
    Welcome to the Lounge.

I am glad that is working for you.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was having a problem with IE10 on Win7 laptop PC that it would not link to an anchor on another webpage on my website. It linked to the top of the target page. I had the same problem on the same links on my desktop Win7 with IE10. (Old XP PC using IE7 and Google chrome tested on same links and worked perfectly to take me to the anchor location on the target page).

So I upgraded laptop to IE11 and had the same problem. Then I found a post that recommended I should change to use compatibility on all websites. Tried it on my desktop Win7 PC still running IE10. If fixed the problem so the links worked as designed. Great! Changed laptop PC running Win7 & IE11 to compatibility mode - but could not do it on all files so added the specific domain that was giving me the problem. It still links to top of anchor page not where the anchor is on the web page.

I read up on how to remove update for IE11 on the laptop. Removed IE11 and it reverted to IE10. Changed laptop PC running Win7 & IE10 to compatibility mode. It still links to top of anchor page not where the anchor is on the page. Now what do I do?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S View Post
    I was having a problem with IE10 on Win7 laptop PC that it would not link to an anchor on another webpage on my website. It linked to the top of the target page. I had the same problem on the same links on my desktop Win7 with IE10. (Old XP PC using IE7 and Google chrome tested on same links and worked perfectly to take me to the anchor location on the target page).

So I upgraded laptop to IE11 and had the same problem. Then I found a post that recommended I should change to use compatibility on all websites. Tried it on my desktop Win7 PC still running IE10. If fixed the problem so the links worked as designed. Great! Changed laptop PC running Win7 & IE11 to compatibility mode - but could not do it on all files so added the specific domain that was giving me the problem. It still links to top of anchor page not where the anchor is on the web page.

I read up on how to remove update for IE11 on the laptop. Removed IE11 and it reverted to IE10. Changed laptop PC running Win7 & IE10 to compatibility mode. It still links to top of anchor page not where the anchor is on the page. Now what do I do?
    Are you sure it's an IE problem? Does it work properly in other browsers?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The exact same link works to bring up a 2nd webpage at the anchor location on old XP PC running IE7. It also works on my desktop and laptop PC in Google Chrome browser. It now works on my desktop PC running Win7 in IE10 now that I set IE10 to use compatibility mode for all web pages. It does not work on my lap top running Win7 with IE10 set to compatibility mode. The laptop had IE10 updated to IE11 and they removed IE11 to revert back to IE10.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In your laptop, press F12 to bring the IE developer tools. Then check the values for Browser Mode and Document Mode. Try one different values. I suppose IE9 in either Browser mode or Document mode should probably work.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browser Mode was IE10 Compatibility View changed it to IE9 still does not work (goes to proper page but not to anchor on page). Changed back to Browser Mode IE10 and then changed Document Mode from IE5 quirks to IE9 still does not work. Changed both to IE9 still does not work. Tried IE8 on Browser Mode and Document Mode still does not work. Tried IE7 on Browser Mode and Document Mode still does not work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you want to post a link to the page in question?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a large website there are numerous examples. I picked one you can find easily. I have a list of items that has the href="filename#location" is at
    http://www.schafluetzel.org/Chattanooga$/Bk%20Chattanooga/list_bk_chatt_by_period.htm

If you click on first listed item with the link Train, left Justice, right Cotton Pf only it should take you to an image of a banknote at location #G61
    http://www.schafluetzel.org/Chattanooga$/Bk%20Chattanooga/Type%201%20-%20Initial%20Series/T1_bk_chatt_initial_series.htm#G61

If it does it correctly you will see a bank note at the top of the page. If it does not do it correctly it will go to the top of the web page and with text titled Initial Series 1854 - 1861

My desktop with Win7 running IE10 in compatibility mode does it correctly with the banknote image showing while my laptop running IE10 in compatibility mode does not do it correctly - top of page with title and text showing.

Thanks for helping

Administrator
    Thanks
    The link works correctly for me in IE 10 as it does in IE 11. I think something else is causing your issues. I would try to reset IE to its default settings, in your laptop and see if that solves the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I reset IE10 as you suggested to its default settings on my Win7 IE10 laptop. I reset how I operate with IE (add on and view etc). Used example on my desktop. I then checked my website and the links worked as it should! The Browser mode is IE10 (not compatibility View) Document View is Quirks (Page default).

Many thanks to your excellent suggestions. I am new this how do record your success and my thanks.http://windowssecrets.com/forums/ima...s/rolleyes.gif
    Dennis S

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad I could be of help .

I could close the thread, marking it as solved, but the thread was started by someone else, and it's not clear that the original poster has his problem solved.

As to thanks, you have expressed them already . The forum also has also a small thanks button, a thumbs up icon, at the left, immediately below each post but your own, that you can use to signal your thanks if you found the post in question useful.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dennis S (2013-12-08)