New Lounger
    Thanks

Losing drive letter when swapping exterrnal drives

Another fellow and I, both retired, are on call to provide volunteer tech support for our local free clinic. I basically handle the workstations while he handles the server (Windows Server 2003) and the network. The server is really just used as a file server for our electronics records system. It does not handle email. Neither myself nor the other fellow are really qualified as system server people, but we manage to get by.

We have an external USB hard drive attached and use Active@Disk Image to do nightly image backups to the external. Each Friday, one of the employees unplugs that drive and takes it offsite, and brings in the other external and plugs it in. However, when that happens, the server does not re-assign the drive letter, and so the external does not show up in My Computer and backups fail until one of the two of us logs in and goes into administrative tools and reassigns drive letter E to the external. Yes, I suppose we could try and train the employee who swaps the drive to do this, but her computer skills are limited and there are not any reliable alternatives.

So the question on the table is, short of our continuing to log in and reassign drive letters, is there a way to have Windows co-operate in doing this automatically?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can do it programatically you could run a task scheduler job to check / assign the drive letter.
    I would try a bit of batch file programming, running "diskpart".

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may need to reinstall the USB controller and Storage Controller on your computer.

To reinstall USB controller
    ================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1) In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    2) Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Would love to hear back from you.