2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Office 2010 Program Icons

Hi,

I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 on Windows 7 32-bit.

All MS Office icons are missing in Windows Explorer. I see the program icons on the Windows Task Bar, but not in Windows Explorer.

I tried re-associating the Office programs with the relevant file types in Windows, but that doesn't help.

Also, I can't run Office repair (Control Panel > Office > Change). When I choose that option, I see the "repair" splash screen for a moment and then...nothing.

Since this is a work computer, I don't have the installation disks.

Any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Since this is a work PC, is there an IT dept. or person that might have the installation disks? I believe you probably need the installation disks to run the Repair Option.

These are Office 2010 download links. I suppose if you can download the file, and have the installation key you could go that route.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's not clear where you expect to find Office icons, or where you would want to put them if you could copy them.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be a silly question, but did you try looking under Start, All Programs, Microsoft Office? If there, you can right click and select Pin to Taskbar, or Pin to Start Menu. Since it's an office computer, the icons may only be installed for the "office connected" user, not an offline user.

The beautiful and serene Yorkshire Dales, England, UK
    Thanks
    Try this. Select an office application shortcut on the Start Menu (i.e. Excel). Right click the shortcut and select 'send to desktop'. You should then see the icon for that application on the Desktop with its correct name. Do this for all the applications that you want to see on the Desktop. If it doesn't work that may mean that your privileges are restricted on your user account.

Thanks
    I have Office 2007. Here's what I would do if I lost my icons:

Click Start then Computer.

Make the window smaller than maximized, so that you can drag stuff from there to the desktop.

Go to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 --> Your folder may be different than "Office12", because you have a newer version of Office than I do. Look for the one containing the items I have listed below.

Sort the display by Type, and scroll to the Applications.

Look for the following applications. When you find each one, put your cursor on it, hold down your right mouse button, and then drag it to the desktop. Choose "Create Shortcut Here". MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T COPY OR MOVE IT!
    --> EXCEL
    --> MSACCESS
    --> MSPUB
    --> OUTLOOK
    --> POWERPNT
    --> WINWORD

You now have a shortcut to each of the above programs. Rename the shortcuts to more sensible names, such as "Powerpoint" rather than "POWERPNT".

The new shortcuts that you have just made will be the correct shortcuts. You should delete all old shortcuts which no longer work. You can then put each of these on the Taskbar and Start Menu simply by right-clicking on each one, then choosing "Pin to Taskbar" or "Pin to Start Menu."
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-12-12 at 17:57.