New Lounger
    Thanks

Pattern identification

Hello,

How can we identify patterns in numbers using excel formulas? I have also attached some numbers as sample and I am looking to find out the pattern of them.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Saeed
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Some general thoughts:
    Plat the data. Since you only have one set I presume that they are regularly pulled and a line chart is sufficienct. If not taken at regular intervals, you need the pattern of intervals as the X and they plot as an XY

After viewing the data, ask yourself if you see an obvious pattern [I do not in this data set].

There may be trends and the data could be fit to some model. Look to see if there is a theotical model or if not try some curve fitting to interpolate (excel has many different types that can be used, all with plusses and minuses.

I see nothing in the data that would give me any confidence in future predictions..

If this were some kind of production output, I would be investigating what may have changed around the time of point 15-25 where the average increased and the variability between points increased.

My interpretation is that you have 2 random distributions of data: points 1-around 21, have one average and 1 Std deviaiton and a second distribution after point 21 with a higher average and a much large std deviation...

Steve
    Last edited by sdckapr; 2013-12-01 at 08:14.