Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender sufficient protection?

I would like to know whether Windows Defender is sufficient protection for Viruses, Spyware & Malware. If not, can anyone recommend what other software I should be using

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    That's not an easy question to answer, since it really depends on what you do and how you behave online, so it must be your decision.

Defender incorporates pretty much what before was known as MSE, so it is as good as MSE was, which means it was a below average AV. I don't like it and I wouldn't use it as my single security app.

I use Emsisoft AntiMalware. It uses two different detection engines, features behavioral detection (which would stop things such as the recently infamous CryptoLocker, which most AVs failed to do when the threat first appeared) and it's very light on resources. It's a paid app.

I also use a HIPS - Online Armor. This may be something you may want to consider or not. I use it as my ultimate malware stopper - basically it doesn't allow anything to run which I don't authorize. This is something I recommend or I wouldn't use myself, but you need to know what it does before deciding to go with one.

At the very least, you should have a very good AV. Emsisoft Antimalware is among the best.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Howard,

I like Rui like to have something else running usually Malwarebytes PRO. That said however when I got my newest machine in July it came w/Win 8 std and I upgraded it to PRO and then to 8.1 Pro and until 2 days ago when I snagged a deal {Thanks OldiesJock} on a couple of licenses for Pro I'd been running the machine with only Windows defender and occasional scans with WDO and Malwarebytes Free w/o incident! Of course, I'm very careful about where I go on the web and have both HW & SW firewalls.
    YMMV! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rui & RG.

Thanks for the advice. I have Windows 8.1 which comes standard with Windows Defender, but will get a good AV program installed as well

Regards

Howard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    I would like to know whether Windows Defender is sufficient protection for Viruses, Spyware & Malware. If not, can anyone recommend what other software I should be using
    In my opinion, Windows Defender is junk. I would go with something else.

I use Trend Micro; but it's not free. I pay $50 per year (I think) for three PCs to be protected. So far, I am very pleased with it.

If you want something free, try Avast. The only caveat is that you will need to manually update the program; the free version doesn't do auto updates.

It may be that you can set up Avast in Task Scheduler to do auto updates that way, but I haven't really looked into it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
    Hi Rui & RG.

Thanks for the advice. I have Windows 8.1 which comes standard with Windows Defender, but will get a good AV program installed as well

Regards

Howard
    You're welcome.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You have to remember that no AV product will protect against the worst problem, the operator. Your habits have a large affect on your security.

That said, WD is better than nothing. Many people have NO IDEA what PC security is or what it entails. Because of this MS has made an attempt to add some AV/AM protection to their OS. Perhaps this is not the best available, but it is better than having nothing to those people. I used MSE, and then WD for several years in my security protection plan, and never had an infection. Last year I switched to first AVG AV free, then a 3 license paid version of AVG AV 2013 Pro. 2 days ago I reactivated my 3 licenses for $46 and upgraded to the new AVG AV 2104 Pro. AVG will attempt to sell the suite, just as many other do. I have found for my needs just the AV/AM component is sufficient. But like others I also have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro installed and running in real time.

The other thing you will notice is that if you do install a different AV/AM app (other than Malewarebytes) WD in all likelyhood will be disabled automatically. It is not a good idea to run 2 different AV apps in real time. They will conflict with each other and give many false positives that will at the least drive you crazy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've been running with WD since Windows 7 when it was called MSE. I have never been infected and feel no need to replace it. I am careful about my online activities though. I do periodically scan my system with a varying mix of other free tools - Malwarebytes free, Trend Micro Housecall Free Online Scan, Bitdefender Free Online Virus Scan, Kaspersky Free virus scan, Eset free virus scan. There are others that you can find too. As Rui stated, a multi-layer defense system is important. Informed and safe browsing habits are probably more important than any one software component.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I've been running with WD since Windows 7 when it was called MSE. I have never been infected and feel no need to replace it. I am careful about my online activities though. I do periodically scan my system with a varying mix of other free tools - Malwarebytes free, Trend Micro Housecall Free Online Scan, Bitdefender Free Online Virus Scan, Kaspersky Free virus scan, Eset free virus scan. There are others that you can find too. As Rui stated, a multi-layer defense system is important. Informed and safe browsing habits are probably more important than any one software component.

Joe
    I agree with Joe, although I run two security apps (and have UAC activated) I never got an infection and my security apps never caught malware, so online habits are very important (as are other habits, like opening weird and unexpected email attachments, no matter how "enticing" they may look).
    I still prefer to play safe, though, the cost of my apps is small enough and they are light on resources.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rui & Joe,

+1

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the valuable information. I have now activated UAC and will make use of good AV program

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add that we can get infected from legitimate websites. Security failures are rampant these days, so even places that would seem safe can bring unwanted problems. That's why I have my safeguards in place .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Just wanted to add that we can get infected from legitimate websites. Security failures are rampant these days, so even places that would seem safe can bring unwanted problems. That's why I have my safeguards in place .
    ..and that's why I pay for my A/V protection, rather than use the free stuff. I figure that if I'm paying them, they'll try harder to make sure it is a good product.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ..and that's why I pay for my A/V protection, rather than use the free stuff. I figure that if I'm paying them, they'll try harder to make sure it is a good product.
    Or do it just because paying for a good product, when the price is right, is a way to reward those who do good work from which we benefit and we are helping to ensure that work can continue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You guys are 100% correct. The guys who have developed the AV programs need to be rewarded. I will definitely buys one of the recommended AV programs. Can I still use Windows Defender or will it conflict with the others?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast