New Lounger
    Thanks

Rogue autocorrect or autotext in MS Word 2000

Hi. I'm brand new to this site. and yes, I know, I'm using ancient software. However, it ain't broke so I ain't gonna try to fix it! lol.

that being said, I have a rogue autocorrect or autotext showing up when I type po2. It's an entire paragraph ...

it's a very old one, to be sure, as I haven't had the client for whom I created that for at least 3 years. LOL.

However, it does not show up in my autocorrect listing nor in my autotext listing.
    I use a macro to "print" my hundreds of pages of autocorrect entries and also printed out my autotext entries and key assignments ... and cannot locate this. I'd like to delete it so that I can use po2 for a new autocorrect.

In fact, I have tried reassigning "po2" with simply "po2" and then deleted it; however, the rogue entire paragraph still spits out.

any ideas?
    Again, I know that using Word 2000 is like watching dinosaurs play in the backyard. But IIWII.

I'm current using Vista if that makes a difference.

thank you in advance!

Thanks
    If it is an AutoText (AT) entry, a tooltip with the entire paragraph (or at least the start of it) should pop up and you would have to hit Enter to bring it in. I expect that it is an AutoCorrect for that reason.

Have you used the AutoCorrect utility from the MVP website to get your listing? If not, you might want to try that.
    AC entries can be either unformatted (stored in an .acl file) or formatted (stored in normal.dot).

What happens if you move or rename your .acl file? And your normal.dot file? Note - do not delete these files unless you really want to re-do a lot of your customizations. If you rename both of them (with Word closed) does po2 still bring up the paragraph? If not, put one back and try again to see where it is stored.

You can find a number of links and ideas in my page:
    Automated Boilerplate in Word
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a macro that I got from somewhere that creates a new document for my Autocorrect entries. Not sure WHERE I got it though. And yes, I'm sure this is a rogue AC since there is no tooltip.
    So are you suggesting to rename the acl and dot files so that I no longer have a "normal" template? i.e., rename MSO1033.acl to something like MSO1033.OLD, for example? And normal.dot to something like normal.OLD ??

If you would let me know, I'd truly appreciate it. I would like to flush out this rogue AC! lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rharlow View Post
    I have a macro that I got from somewhere that creates a new document for my Autocorrect entries. Not sure WHERE I got it though. And yes, I'm sure this is a rogue AC since there is no tooltip.
    So are you suggesting to rename the acl and dot files so that I no longer have a "normal" template? i.e., rename MSO1033.acl to something like MSO1033.OLD, for example? And normal.dot to something like normal.OLD ??

If you would let me know, I'd truly appreciate it. I would like to flush out this rogue AC! lol.
    I am suggesting that you rename these files, yes. Doing that is a diagnostic, not a cure. I suspect the entry is in your normal file so you may want to try that first. Here's how to find it; look at the bottom of this web page.

When you rename these files, Word recreates them from scratch.

I am also suggesting you use the AutoCorrect backup utility from the MVP website. There is a link to it on the page I posted. That utility gets all AC entries whether formatted or unformatted, I believe.

Once you have checked out what happens with the renamed file(s), report back for suggestions on where to go from there.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-12-02 at 10:41.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    okay. So I renamed Normal, then opened Word, and sure enough, when I type po2, nothing happens except po2. However, some of my autocorrects are still intact, but others are not. What does that mean? I use word2000 in vista and in XP, the XP being on a virtual computer. they are two separate programs each with their own autocorrects/autotexts. Usually once a month I go and save normal.dot and MSO1033.acl to Dropbox, one in a folder named VISTA and one to a folder named XP.

but, I am curious for the suggestions on where to go from here! )

thank you.

Thanks
    OK. Again, autocorrects are stored in two distinct locations in all versions of Word. Formatted AC entries are stored in the normal.dot template. The unformatted ones would not be changed by renaming normal.dot.

So, I assume you have other things in your normal.dot file you would like to keep. That is also the default storage location for AutoText and macros. If you do have other valuable customizations, change the name back. Reopen Word and try saving a new "formatted" AC entry with that name and deleting it. What result?

Again, download the utility from the MVP site. I believe it would have picked this up.

BTW I store most of my macros and AutoTexts in files other than the normal template. I store more AutoText there in Word 2010 than I did in earlier versions because of the limitations on AT in Word 2007 and later.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-12-02 at 17:24.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    One other suggestion would be to change the name of your normal.old back to normal.dot and then rename the ACL file. Now try deleting the entry. It may be that it was being masked by something in the ACL file.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin