Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Errors causing URLs to not be found

This seems to be a Win8 or 8.1 problem. I never see it on my other computers. I try to access a site, such as Newegg or Facebook (various others, but not all) and my browsers say that the URL cannot be found or does not exist. I usually start with Firefox, but switching to Opera, Maxthon, or IE results in the same problem. But, if I reboot the computer, all of the browsers can find the missing sites immediately.

This error does not happen if I run a Linux virtual machine in Virtualbox, but still under Win8.1. It does not happen when I use my Win7 or Mint computers, connected to the same router. So, my guess is that something is getting screwed up within 8.1. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to fix it, other than having to reboot? Unfortunately, I can't remember if it was happening before I moved from 8 to 8.1.

The computer is a Haswell i7 4770. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H. I doubt that anything else matters.

Thanks
    This is the first time I have heard of this. I would try a couple of things.

Clean out all the TIF and Cookies from all browsers. In IE I would try to set IE back to default. Internet Options, Advanced tab. Reset IE. You can also disable all add-ons and see if it works.

I have no idea what could affect all 4 browsers. Perhaps a Reset of Won 8.1 would be in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    When this happens, if you open a command prompt window and type:

ping URLYouWantToVisit

What do you get?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico - Thanks for replying. It seems to me that this cannot be a browser issue, since various browsers have the same problem. Why would they all suddenly not have the problem after I reboot? I also have virtually no cookies in IE, since I rarely use it. I can try dumping them all.

It appears that something is happening when some web addresses are being converted to their numerical values.

I wish I could remember if this was happening under Win8. So far, I have found that there was nothing obvious to be gained by going from 8 to 8.1, but I assumed there were changes that might include security issues, so I went with the update. A couple of previously working applications stopped working, but I did not need them. My mouse developed the lag problem that MS has noted. They have a patch, but it didn't solve the problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib - I haven't tried the ping test. This problem is one I cannot induce, I have to wait and it appears. It seems that most of the times I have had it happen have been in the morning. My computer may be doing something that activates the problem shortly after I start it in the morning. I am not sure if it has ever happened a second time, after I reboot. The next time it happens, I will try the ping.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am thinking you may have a problem with the DNS resolving, which the ping command may help confirm. You should probably check the Event Viewer for system errors or warnings, as they can shed some light on what may be happening.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now while your browsers are working, do a "ipconfig/all" and write down the IP address of the DNS that you are currently using.

Then when it fails the next time, do "ipconfig/all" again, and see if it is connected to a different DNS.

If it is the same, then the DNS is probably not the problem, but if it is different, then the next step is to figure out why.

It could be that there is a certain randomness in your computers start up, or someone could be high-jacking your DNS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The browsers themselves can be set to use a different DNS than the DNS that your Ethernet Adapter is set to, but I would not expect them all to be set at the same time, or to be reset when you reboot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just now had an invalid URL error with Newegg. It happened from an email link (ad). I decided to ping Newegg. Message says
    packets sent = 4
    received - 0
    lost = 4

Then I pinged Yahoo and all 4 packets were received.

Curiously, I was able to connect to Newegg from the browser by not using the email link. Then I used the email link and it connected. This has happened often. I only recall Newegg and Facebook as having this behavior.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ran the ipconnect/all command and got a lot of screen entries. Most of them said that this or that was enabled. I then tried the email ad link again. It gave another Invalid URL error.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After getting the Invalid URL (per my last message), I rebooted the computer. Then I went to the Newegg ad and clicked the link again. This time it worked perfectly.

In this instance, the computer did not show the problem in the morning, but did show it after 5 PM. So, my prior observation that it might be dependent on time of day is apparently wrong.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately not much can be gathered from what you said. More data is needed.

If I understood correctly, you don't lose connection to the internet during the problems, is this a correct inference?

What are you using in terms of security, what apps?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib - I do not lose connection to the internet. In fact the browsers work fine for most sites, but have this strange behavior with at least two. I am using the MS security software that is part of Win8.1 (defender and the fire wall). I have various on-demand scanners that I run regularly (SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes). I also have Spybot installed, which is a different kind of application, but the problem has been around for longer than this has been installed. I also run an on-ling Panda scan once in a while (this is also a recent thing).

I just checked Firefox and confirmed that it has no ad-ons.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I confess that makes it very hard to figure out what may be going on. What sites does this happen with?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    I just ran the ipconnect/all command and got a lot of screen entries. Most of them said that this or that was enabled. I then tried the email ad link again. It gave another Invalid URL error.
    What you are looking for is the line that says DNS Servers for the Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

C:\Users\User>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Windows-7
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168
    Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-7D-1A-
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecd9:a4f0
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890269
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

If it does not change from the time you boot up and things are working to the time you have the problem, then The not the problem. If it does change, you would need to figure out why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast