New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Failure to Launch after Time

I am running Win7-64 Professional with Office 2010 Professional on a 8GB Dell XPS L702X (Intel Core I7 CPU), with two 128GB SDD drives, 'seen' as a single drive letter. Since late September if I leave my system running for an hour or more, I find that already running programs, such as Outlook, continue to work fine, and can be terminated. I cannot, however, start any new programs from Icons or the Start Button, nor will Cntrl-Alt-Delete bring up the task manager. Holding down the power button will eventually shut down the machine. Restarting brings up the options for the 'safe modes', but doing a 'normal' start always works, and when the machine is running again, all programs work just fine, at least for an hour or two. I can find nothing the in the System Events log, other than the forced shutdowns.

Anyone seen this behavior before, and perhaps, have a fix for it?

Thanks...

Thanks
    Have you tried to open an elevated command prompt and running sfc /scannow This might fix system errors that could be causing your problems.

You might also be experiencing some hardware related heat issues. Many times these strange problems after a period of time can be indicative of hardware issues.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It can be a problem with Windows Explorer. I suggest that you open Task Manager and keep it minimized. Once this happens, try to bring Task Manager up, by using ALT + TAB. If it comes up, then try to delete the explorer.exe process and launch it again using the Task Manager File->New Task (Run...) and type explorer.exe and press ok. If you can do this, let me know if it helps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Results of the scan:

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Got the problem to reoccur. I had an Administrator-level DOS command box, task manager, and Outlook (2010) running at the time. I found that while I could kill explorer, it would not start, either from taskmgr or the DOS box. It would, however, appear among the list of running processes in taskmgr. I killed them off, so as not to have more than one 'running'. I also found, to my surprise, that I could launch command-line programs that do not use the windowing system from the DOS Box. I found I could minimize the two remaining applications (I killed Outlook), and restore them. Bizarrely, the three gadgets I run were fine (CPU meter, Network meter, Day Calendar, and current weather). (I have tried killing the gadgets, but the problem still reoccurred.) I tried killing off a process at a time, but could not find the culprit, before I inadvertently killed taskmgr, which ended the experiment, since I could no longer kill off tasks.

I am hazarding a guess that there is something amiss with the windowing code, as opposed to the actual OS (I still consider them separate).

I note that there are two sizes of explorer.exe on my system. In the \windows directory, date 12/20/2011, size 2,871,808; and in \windows\System32, date 11/20/2010, size 2,616,320. Wonder which is the 'correct' one. I did try to execute both from the DOS box after the problem struck, sans success...

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could try and see if a clean startup would have any effect on your situation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

P.S.: My Windows 7 has only one version of explorer.exe and matches the size of the one you have in the Windows folder.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have taken your suggestion to disable half my non-Microsoft Start-up Services. Two revelations: 1. The problem, as far as I can tell, has disappeared. I have not had time to continue the binary search for the culprit yet, but hopefully over the Holiday I'll get time. 2. My computer works just fine, thank you, without half them.

[The Services disabled are two Adobe updaters, a number of Bluetooth Services (non of which I use), a few audio services, a Dell Digital Delivery Service (whatever that it), a Garmin GPS updater, and an Intuit updater.]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, I am glad the computer is working as expected now. A little more effort and you will find the culprit. Do let us know, when you do, please.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have finally narrowed the field down to a single culprit: the Garmin Core Update Service. I verified this by running a number of times, for several hours each time with the Garmin service disabled, and then by enabling the service, only to have the symptoms appear after a couple of hours.

The executable, Garmin.Cartography.MapUpdate.CoreService.exe, if this is the correct one, is 186,200 bytes and is dated 20-Mar-2013.
    Last edited by wrothman; 2013-12-29 at 12:06.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Probably it's worth to uninstall the Garmin app or upgrade your Garmin app? Probably you can even disable the service, if you are able to update the Garmin stuff in a different way.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the help!