Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Acronis Upgrade Deal

Hey Y'all,

Although I don't use Acronis TI anymore I did get this upgrade offer today and thought those of you who do use it might like to take advantage of this deal. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I just downloaded the Seagate DiscWizard software for free from seagate.com. Turns out it is Acronis software.

I was very impressed with how well it worked, and how simple it was to use.

I really didn't like Acronis True Image in the past, but perhaps they have improved their product, because their DiscWizard software is a superior product, in my opinion.

Thanks
    I did see that offer. It is however the Standard Edition, not the Premium Edition which includes the ability to restore to a bare bones disk.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm pretty happy with my Acronis 2013 but thinking of maybe upgrading to the offered 2014 Premium. The only thing is, in the past I've had troubles with new versions not recognizing old backup images and my general thinking with Acronis is "quit while you're ahead"..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnmoore View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my Acronis 2013 but thinking of maybe upgrading to the offered 2014 Premium. The only thing is, in the past I've had troubles with new versions not recognizing old backup images and my general thinking with Acronis is "quit while you're ahead"..
    I did the Premium 2014 upgrade sometime ago and have had no issues so far. Seems as stable as 2013.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib. Ordinarily I don't worry about bad installs as I make a disk image every day. But have to think twice about something that could make backups inaccessible. I guess if I was really worried I could put an extra backup somewhere on my 2nd internal hard drive..

Administrator
    Thanks
    You have a good solution to test:

1. Image your system.
    2. Make sure your 2013 boot disc is up to date and working.
    2. Download and install True Image 2014 in trial mode.
    3. See if you can browse old images. If so, complete the purchase and add your key when available. Create a new 2014 boot disc.
    4. If you can't, just restore the image pre-2014 with the 2013 disc.

I would say, however, other than the restore to different hardware with the Premium edition, there is no compelling reason to move from 2013 to 2014. I just did because I took an offer to buy a family pack upgrade for $20.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I love my PC and it's still working fine - but around 5 years old and I suppose can't last forever. Your list is what I was tentatively planning on - but is there any remote possibility that the trial could alter the images so 2013 boot disk wouldn't be able to use them? That's what happened with one disaster 3 or 4 years ago - the upgrade (incredibly!) reformatted the images.

Also although the restore to different hardware sounds good, if a new PC has Win 8 I probably won't want Win 7 restored to it. So for this to be a practical plan I'd have to install Win 8 on my present PC and for various reasons I don't want to do that. Catch 22 I think. I better stick to Acronis 2013 and figure on reinstalling my stuff if/when I get a new PC. Probably better anyway as the new PC would stay cleaner that way.
    Last edited by cnmoore; 2013-12-12 at 20:31.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have never experienced any such situation, to be honest, but in honesty I will say that I haven't tested TI for that. What I can tell you is that I can browse the images from 2014 with a TI 2013 version, that I have checked, so it seems there are no changes in format from TI 2013 to TI 2014.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again..

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I took advantage of the special to upgrade to 2014 Premium and did a couple of tests this AM.
    No problem using backups from 2010 and 2011 in .tib files. Also the Boot CD appears to be faster and does more.
    For $20 it appears to be a good bargain.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    The other day I received an offer from Acronis for an Upgrade similar to this. When I went to buy this I was offered a 3 license upgrade to Acronis TI 2014 Premium for $19.99. I jumped on it. I have used Acronis through 4 versions now and am finally happy to have gotten the $20 USD offer for 3 licenses of the Premium edition. Premium is the edition that includes what used to be the Plus Pack. Now rather than buying 2 separate products as I have done with each previous version, I got just one product that includes this feature (allows restoration on new H/W). I was able to install on both our PCs and have a license remaining in case we do finally get a tablet. Not sure yet, but you never know. It was nice finally getting this offer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated from 2013 to 2014 and I am having big troubles. The program refuses to remember my settings. It insists on backing up to a network drive which is not connected and insists on making a weekly backup at a time I am using the computer. Nothing I can do will change these settings. I can manually change the settings to make a back up, but the settings will not stick. The only way I have been able to control the automatic backup is to disable Acronis in Services. I must then enable it again to make a backup.
    Support is non existent (literally) after the first 30 days. Reinstall failed to fix the problem.

I would uninstall and return to my 2013 but no one can tell me if that will work seeing as I used that copy as a qualifier to update.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    I updated from 2013 to 2014 and I am having big troubles. The program refuses to remember my settings. It insists on backing up to a network drive which is not connected and insists on making a weekly backup at a time I am using the computer. Nothing I can do will change these settings. I can manually change the settings to make a back up, but the settings will not stick. The only way I have been able to control the automatic backup is to disable Acronis in Services. I must then enable it again to make a backup.
    Support is non existent (literally) after the first 30 days. Reinstall failed to fix the problem.

I would uninstall and return to my 2013 but no one can tell me if that will work seeing as I used that copy as a qualifier to update.
    Have you tried uninstalling the app completely and then reinstalling it again?

I think only Acronis support will be able to provide reliable information on that last statement, as your 2013 copy will have to be validated online, by their validation system.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast